POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 2-pass radiosity settings under 3.7 RC3 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  2-pass radiosity settings under 3.7 RC3 (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: 2-pass radiosity settings under 3.7 RC3
Date: 27 Sep 2011 10:19:52
Message: <4e81db88@news.povray.org>
It has been a long time since I used the 2-pass method, and not yet with
3.7, so what are the best settings nowadays? For my latest image  I have
added a media, so 2-pass render becomes necessary I guess. At this
moment and based on much earlier code, I use this, which is certainly
not the most efficient I guess:

//start code
     radiosity {
       #if (RadSave)
         pretrace_start 0.08
         pretrace_end   0.004
         count 50, 1000
         error_bound 0.5
         always_sample on
       #else
         pretrace_start 1
         pretrace_end   1
         count 50, 100
         error_bound 1
         always_sample off
       #end  //of RadSave
       brightness 1
       recursion_limit 2
       nearest_count 10, 5
       adc_bailout 0.01/2
       low_error_factor .3
       minimum_reuse 0.015
       maximum_reuse 0.1
       gray_threshold 0.0
       normal on
       media off
       //max_sample 1.0
     }
//end code

During first pass, I switch off area light and any transparent textures.
Can I switch off the media too? I don't remember about that.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> It has been a long time since I used the 2-pass method, and not yet with
> 3.7, so what are the best settings nowadays? For my latest image I have
> added a media, so 2-pass render becomes necessary I guess. At this
> moment and based on much earlier code, I use this, which is certainly
> not the most efficient I guess:
>
> //start code
> radiosity {
> #if (RadSave)
> pretrace_start 0.08
> pretrace_end 0.004
> count 50, 1000
> error_bound 0.5
> always_sample on
> #else
> pretrace_start 1
> pretrace_end 1
> count 50, 100
> error_bound 1
> always_sample off
> #end //of RadSave
> brightness 1
> recursion_limit 2
> nearest_count 10, 5
> adc_bailout 0.01/2
> low_error_factor .3
> minimum_reuse 0.015
> maximum_reuse 0.1
> gray_threshold 0.0
> normal on
> media off
> //max_sample 1.0
> }
> //end code
>
> During first pass, I switch off area light and any transparent textures.
> Can I switch off the media too? I don't remember about that.
>
> Thomas

An absorbing or scattering media does cast shadows. Emissive media
illuminate it's surounding. It's not neutral. Same thing for any fog,
it's not neutral.
If you use non-neutral media, you NEED media on in at least the first
pass, preferably in both.
You can remove emissive media if you never use media on.
If you turn off your media for the first pass and use it for the second
pass, then you realy need to do some pretrace steps in your second pass,
and need to keep the same error_bound.

Don't switch off transparent textures unless they are totaly, or close
to be, transparent, colourless (rgbt 1 or rgbf 1) and the object don't
have any ior.

count should be the same for both passes.

Post a reply to this message