POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 2-pass radiosity settings under 3.7 RC3 : Re: 2-pass radiosity settings under 3.7 RC3 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:30:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2-pass radiosity settings under 3.7 RC3
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 27 Sep 2011 17:55:01
Message: <web.4e8245ae4a39fb5a85de7b680@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tenDOTlnDOTretniATtoorgedDOTt> wrote:

>      radiosity {
>        #if (RadSave)
>          pretrace_start 0.08
>          pretrace_end   0.004
>          count 50, 1000
>          error_bound 0.5
>          always_sample on

In his Radiosity Voodoo articles (povray.text.tutorials), clipka recommends
setting always_sample to off.

>        #else
>          pretrace_start 1
>          pretrace_end   1
>          count 50, 100
>          error_bound 1

In 3.6, error_bound should be the same for both passes, otherwise the 2nd pass
would take eons.  I haven't tested this in 3.7.

>          always_sample off
>        #end  //of RadSave
>        brightness 1
>        recursion_limit 2
>        nearest_count 10, 5

In his Radiosity Voodoo articles, clipka recommends setting nearest_count to 1,
especially during the final render.  However, the current documentation suggests
that this would have poor results.  Although I can't recall the details, I
remember that I didn't get satisfactory results by tweaking this.