POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 2-pass radiosity settings under 3.7 RC3 : 2-pass radiosity settings under 3.7 RC3 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:27:52 EDT (-0400)
  2-pass radiosity settings under 3.7 RC3
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Sep 2011 10:19:52
Message: <4e81db88@news.povray.org>
It has been a long time since I used the 2-pass method, and not yet with
3.7, so what are the best settings nowadays? For my latest image  I have
added a media, so 2-pass render becomes necessary I guess. At this
moment and based on much earlier code, I use this, which is certainly
not the most efficient I guess:

//start code
     radiosity {
       #if (RadSave)
         pretrace_start 0.08
         pretrace_end   0.004
         count 50, 1000
         error_bound 0.5
         always_sample on
       #else
         pretrace_start 1
         pretrace_end   1
         count 50, 100
         error_bound 1
         always_sample off
       #end  //of RadSave
       brightness 1
       recursion_limit 2
       nearest_count 10, 5
       adc_bailout 0.01/2
       low_error_factor .3
       minimum_reuse 0.015
       maximum_reuse 0.1
       gray_threshold 0.0
       normal on
       media off
       //max_sample 1.0
     }
//end code

During first pass, I switch off area light and any transparent textures.
Can I switch off the media too? I don't remember about that.

Thomas