POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : V. 3.7 missing message output of frame number Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  V. 3.7 missing message output of frame number (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: gregjohn
Subject: V. 3.7 missing message output of frame number
Date: 1 Feb 2011 14:30:00
Message: <web.4d485e74e285582f34d207310@news.povray.org>
I changed something during an animation and it povray bombed out due to a syntax
error I introduced. I wanted to resume the rendering at the frame I was at, but
I looked at the message stream and this info was missing.  It was there in 3.5.
It's one of the more valuable pieces of info spit out in the message stream, for
precisely this reason.

Post a reply to this message

Le 01/02/2011 20:26, gregjohn nous fit lire :
> I changed something during an animation and it povray bombed out due to a syntax
> error I introduced. I wanted to resume the rendering at the frame I was at, but
> I looked at the message stream and this info was missing.  It was there in 3.5.
> It's one of the more valuable pieces of info spit out in the message stream, for
> precisely this reason.

Can you identify your version & system ?

So far, I see (3.7 RC3 linux from source):

Rendering frame 6 of 50

Parser Options
  Input file: isoerroranim.pov (compatible to version 3.70)
  Remove bounds........On
  Split unions.........Off
  Library paths:
    /usr/local/share/povray-3.7
    /usr/local/share/povray-3.7/ini
    /usr/local/share/povray-3.7/include

Post a reply to this message

From: gregjohn
Date: 2 Feb 2011 14:35:01
Message: <web.4d49b17bedf3124434d207310@news.povray.org>
For both 3.7 RC1 and RC3, there is no information about the frame number in the
message stream. I would Copy Pane but (now?) it's only showing one small part of
the message panel.  Old versions had this and the great benefit is telling you
the frame number you were on if were to stop the render.

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 2 Feb 2011 14:50:15
Message: <4d49b577@news.povray.org>
Le 02/02/2011 20:33, gregjohn nous fit lire :
> For both 3.7 RC1 and RC3, there is no information about the frame number in the
> message stream. I would Copy Pane but (now?) it's only showing one small part of
> the message panel.  Old versions had this and the great benefit is telling you
> the frame number you were on if were to stop the render.

Looks like a Windows' port issue then.
I'm unable to check it.

>> Can you identify your version & system ?
>>
>> So far, I see (3.7 RC3 linux from source):
>>
>> Rendering frame 6 of 50

The frame number is the top most information in the output, followed by
Parser option, Animation option, Image Output option, Information Output
options, Parser warning & statistic, More warnings and render option.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Feb 2011 14:57:35
Message: <4d49b72f$1@news.povray.org>
On 01.02.11 20:26, gregjohn wrote:
> I changed something during an animation and it povray bombed out due to a syntax
> error I introduced. I wanted to resume the rendering at the frame I was at, but
> I looked at the message stream and this info was missing.  It was there in 3.5.
> It's one of the more valuable pieces of info spit out in the message stream, for
> precisely this reason.

Why not look at the output images? You can very easily tell where it stopped
because the image either won't be there, or the creation date will be different.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 2 Feb 2011 15:03:18
Message: <4d49b886@news.povray.org>
On 02/02/2011 7:33 PM, gregjohn wrote:
>   Old versions had this and the great benefit is telling you
> the frame number you were on if were to stop the render.

Greg, you will find a line in the message window like:

   Output file..........F:\Graphics\B3D
Data\Scenes\Test\Trace\StSeb\Halo04_00002.png, 24 bpp PNG

This is frame 2 of Halo04_.pov

I hope this helps.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: gregjohn
Date: 2 Feb 2011 19:25:00
Message: <web.4d49f4c3edf3124434d207310@news.povray.org>
> On 01.02.11 20:26, gregjohn wrote:
> > I changed something during an animation and it povray bombed out due to a syntax
> > error I introduced. I wanted to resume the rendering at the frame I was at, but
> > I looked at the message stream and this info was missing.  It was there in 3.5.
> > It's one of the more valuable pieces of info spit out in the message stream, for
> > precisely this reason.
>
> Why not look at the output images? You can very easily tell where it stopped
> because the image either won't be there, or the creation date will be different.
>
>  Thorsten

It's very useful images that prior versions of povray were happy to share. In
fact of all the text that is spit out, I could imagine it's the most useful. To
ask why, the user will have open the povray application right in front of them.
To go deduce what was the last image by going to find filenames, that requires
going to a different application (a file manager) and digging down through
several directories to get to your images, then doing some deduction, probably
hitting date sort, etc. Whereas in the prior versions you just looked at the
message stream.  In my workflow, I might not ever have to go to the file manager
app between anims, as I just change a few characters in the TMPGEnc application,
and compile the MPEG there.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 3 Feb 2011 04:22:14
Message: <4d4a73c6$1@news.povray.org>
On 03.02.11 01:20, gregjohn wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich<tho### [at] trfde>  wrote:
>> On 01.02.11 20:26, gregjohn wrote:
>>> I changed something during an animation and it povray bombed out due to a syntax
>>> error I introduced. I wanted to resume the rendering at the frame I was at, but
>>> I looked at the message stream and this info was missing.  It was there in 3.5.
>>> It's one of the more valuable pieces of info spit out in the message stream, for
>>> precisely this reason.
>>
>> Why not look at the output images? You can very easily tell where it stopped
>> because the image either won't be there, or the creation date will be different.
>
> It's very useful images that prior versions of povray were happy to share.

You were looking for a solution to your immediate problem, which I supplied ;-)

Besides, it seems you simply overlooked the output in Windows, if I follow
what others replied. So be happy, you now have more than one solution :-)

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 3 Feb 2011 14:25:16
Message: <4d4b011c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.02.2011 20:26, schrieb gregjohn:
> I changed something during an animation and it povray bombed out due to a syntax
> error I introduced. I wanted to resume the rendering at the frame I was at, but
> I looked at the message stream and this info was missing.  It was there in 3.5.
> It's one of the more valuable pieces of info spit out in the message stream, for
> precisely this reason.

I agree that this would be a good feature. The Windows version does
display the frame number in the status bar and above the progress bar,
but only while the render is running.

You /can/ retrieve the desired information from the output messages
though, as POV-Ray reports the full output file there for each frame,
including the frame number.

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 5 Feb 2011 17:09:15
Message: <4d4dca8b@news.povray.org>
On 2/1/2011 2:26 PM, gregjohn wrote:
> I changed something during an animation and it povray bombed out due to a syntax
> error I introduced. I wanted to resume the rendering at the frame I was at, but
> I looked at the message stream and this info was missing.  It was there in 3.5.
> It's one of the more valuable pieces of info spit out in the message stream, for
> precisely this reason.

You could also have the .POV file send the frame number to the #debug
stream.

Regards,
John