POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fade Cutoff Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Fade Cutoff (Message 11 to 20 of 26)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>
From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: Fade Cutoff
Date: 13 Apr 2010 02:00:05
Message: <web.4bc407e621ab81f65f302820@news.povray.org>
> I just tried complementing fade_power and fade_distance for
> light_sources with an experimental new keyword
>
>    fade_cutoff_distance
>
> and then simply ignoring all light_sources which are farther
> away from a given point. The idea is that fading light sources
> may be needlessly considered in the calculation even if they
> are so far away that they no longer contribute noticably.

The 'calculations' that come to my mind are those for shadows (and possibly
reflectivity of an object, in some way.) This may be a bit off-topic, but I've
recently been wondering about how fade_distance and fade_power currently work
with those--based on some odd rendering results I encountered with my B-29
bomber scene.

The basic question I have is this: When a light's intensity finally drops to
zero at a certain distance, is POV-Ray still spending time trying to compute
shadow calculations for objects out past that distance? I had assumed that it
does not, but I'm not so sure.

Ken

Post a reply to this message