POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fade Cutoff : Re: Fade Cutoff Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:27:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fade Cutoff
From: Kenneth
Date: 13 Apr 2010 16:35:00
Message: <web.4bc4d43f21ab81f65f302820@news.povray.org>
> clipka wrote:
>
> > How about automatically computing this from light brightness and
> > adc_bailout?

> But the approaches are not mutually exclusive: we could have
> the default cutoff distance for each light source set based on
> adc_bailout and intensity to speed up rendering without user
> interaction...

I vote YES to that one!  This is the way that I assumed POV-Ray already worked.
:-(  It would speed up many things, to my way of thinking, cutting off
unnecessary calculations for: shadows, IOR, photons and their target objects,
etc. I'm rather clueless as to any problematic 'details' this might produce (or
computational overhead) but on first glance, it seems like a winner.

Here's another odd and clueless observation/question: In 32-bit POV-Ray, the
default adc_bailout is 2^8. In the 64-bit version, is it 2^*higher power*?

Ken