POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What happened to the wiki? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  What happened to the wiki? (Message 21 to 30 of 38)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: Reactor
Subject: Re: What happened to the wiki?
Date: 1 Dec 2008 23:10:00
Message: <web.4934b4abb9967b059b659b20@news.povray.org>
> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> > The POV-Ray wiki (http://wiki.povray.org/) is redirecting to a page
> > saying "POV-Wiki is down until further notice". Can we have some details on
> > what happened to it?
>
> Had a gold-selling spammer and rather than deal with a take-down put-up
> take-down blah blah cycle I just took it offline since he'd been the only
> contributor for maybe two months. Nothing's been removed, it's all still in the
> DB, and it will come back online eventually.
>
> Moral: I can't have a publicly-editable wiki without someone monitoring changes
> (I don't have time). It one or several of you want to enforce proper usage of
> the wiki and regularly monitor changes (like, at least once a day amongst you)
> then I'll put it back online more or less immediately.
>
> -- Chris

I can start going more frequently, but it will likely be 2-3 times per week for
me until after the 12th, when I finish my finals.

Is there an even medium?  Perhaps having it up but placing a temporarily
restriction on public registration or delaying edits by newly registered users?
 I am not familiar with the wiki software and what types of controls it has for
vandalism prevention.  As much as I find blocking it distasteful, I would
rather see it up and not editable (temporarily) than down entirely.

-Reactor

Post a reply to this message