POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What happened to the wiki? : Re: What happened to the wiki? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What happened to the wiki?
From: Jim Charter
Date: 2 Dec 2008 15:07:15
Message: <49359573$1@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:
> Jim Holsenback wrote:
>
>> and he decided to take it offline for a while, as there was no new
>> real POV contributions being added ....
>

> Why do I feel personally responsible for this? I had two tutorials I
> (publicly) planned on putting up... whenever I figured out how to add my
> own pages. Not that two tutorials would have amounted to much, but just
> look at what happened in p.b.i. the other day. One person commented on
> the lack of images, then this other person posted a couple, and then it
> was a minor flood of images after that. The same could happen to a
> wiki... maybe.
>
> Sam

What you say makes some sense, that a group is composed of individuals
so you can't build the momentum of a collaborative group without the
contributions of individuals, and so ultimately it comes down to the
decision of each individual to contribute or not.

I remember I thought the wiki idea had some exciting potential. For me
it stemmed from the sense of flexibility and scalability. The promise,
it seemed to me, was there would be a readymade place to build, say, a
tutorial, or have a conversation around some technique, that would make
it easy to do, similar to how blogging servers make things easy.

I know what discouraged me early on was the unfortunate security issues
and apparent vandalisation. It led to the feeling that work put into a
tutorial, say, could be vandalised.   I know that techical people around
here did a good job of nipping the problem but it sent a chill.

Now of course I would also be fighting time constraints along with the
realization that my own work, technically, has fallen even father behind
the leading edge of what is going on here.  But I still love the idea of
metaphorically speaking, being able to walk into a room with a
chalkboard available, and have a converation with a you or a Thomas De
Groot, or Steve Piaget, and be able to quickly illustrate what we mean
as easily as if drawing on a slate.

Also I think it might prove worthwhile to try and analyze what the
newsgroup format offers that has given it such lasting success here.

-Jim