POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : broken glass Server Time
17 May 2024 19:45:32 EDT (-0400)
  broken glass (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: kike
Subject: broken glass
Date: 10 Apr 2008 05:05:01
Message: <web.47fdd7d17def4b5dbe7bfb550@news.povray.org>
Hi guys:

I've got a problem. I would like to simulate a broken glass in several stages. I
mean, first the glass is hit so it goes moreless like this:
http://www.alucare.co.uk/controlpanel/shoppics/Image/broken%20glass.JPG
and then the glass is broken into pieces. I know moreless how to do the second
stage.

But the first one is quite more difficult. I have tried by texturing a box with
a crackled texture but no way. Then I have tried with an image_map, but again,
no success. It looks too much like an image, you know what I mean. A third idea
would be to divide the glass into pieces and to put them together (with a cgs
for example). I havent tried this last one.

The question is: do you know about someone working in something similar?

thanks on advance.

Post a reply to this message

"kike" <dry### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

> Hi guys:
>
> I've got a problem. I would like to simulate a broken glass in several
> stages. I
> mean, first the glass is hit so it goes moreless like this:
> http://www.alucare.co.uk/controlpanel/shoppics/Image/broken%20glass.JPG
> and then the glass is broken into pieces. I know moreless how to do the
> second
> stage.
>
> But the first one is quite more difficult. I have tried by texturing a box
> with
> a crackled texture but no way. Then I have tried with an image_map, but
> again,
> no success. It looks too much like an image, you know what I mean. A third
> idea
> would be to divide the glass into pieces and to put them together (with a
> cgs
> for example). I havent tried this last one.
>
> The question is: do you know about someone working in something similar?
>
> thanks on advance.

I've not done anything like this, but variations of the two approaches you
mention are what spring to my mind.

Starting with a crackle pattern with blackhole warps to concentrate the
pattern around the holes. You could overlay turbulent radial patterns
eminating from the holes. To get the fractures through the glass thickness
you could use the same pattern as a height field then slice off the top and
bottom with a plane bearing the pattern. That way you could give the height
field a higher ambient setting to emulate the white veins inside the body of
the glass.

Plan B - If you intend to define individual pieces that fit together for the
flying glass, then you could use those pieces for the intact, cracked piece.
You could give each piece a bright white edge by using an copy of that piece
as an object pigment, scaled down very slightly in X and Y and scaled up in
Z (centre on origin, scale and translate back again). I recall seeing a
POV-Ray image on this news group that applied thick black lines around
objects to achieve a cartoon-like effect, I don't know if they used this
technique, but, if the author published their technique then you might be
able to adapt something from that.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message