POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : broken glass : Re: broken glass Server Time
27 Sep 2024 21:59:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: broken glass
From: Warp
Date: 10 Apr 2008 07:17:51
Message: <47fdf75e@news.povray.org>
kike <dry### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> The question is: do you know about someone working in something similar?

  If that's the only thing you are asking, then the answer is no.

  OTOH, I can go ahead and ponder about your problem more.

  A broken glass is a 3D effect. I don't think it can be reliably
simulated with a surface texture. You'll have to create the microfissures
inside the glass which cause light to bend differently. Also the surface
of these microfissures is probably not completely transparent, as the
original glass surface is.

  I suppose the only way to simulate that is to try to copy exactly
what happens in real life: You'll have to create the microfissures
as geometry (texture tricks won't probably do), and you'll have to
give a less transparent texture to the surfaces of these fissures.

--
                                                          - Warp