POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Texture: Canvas (slightly Transluscent) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Texture: Canvas (slightly Transluscent) (Message 3 to 12 of 12)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: Texture: Canvas (slightly Transluscent)
Date: 19 Feb 2008 14:25:14
Message: <47bb2d1a$1@news.povray.org>
Jan Dvorak nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/02/19 07:39:
> Sven Littkowski napsal(a):
>> Hi,
>>
>> who can consult me? I want to create a scene named "The Magnificent
>> men in their Flying Machines", which contains a number of wicked
>> airplanes and want-to-be-airplanes. Most of them have canvas over the
>> wooden framework.
>>
>> While I have already a graphic file I can use for the canvas texture,
>> I am still in need of some consulting: the cancvas you get to see on
>> vintage airplanes is slightly transluscent, means, if you see such an
>> airplane in the air and you're below it, through the sunlight you can
>> get an idea of the wooden framework below the canvas. I need your
>> advices how best to achieve such an effect. To make it even a bit more
>> difficult, the canvas seems to blur the edges of the wooden framwork
>> below it, in its slightly transluscent effect. How to achieve that
>> little blur effect?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sven
>>
> use a blurred refraction:
> -make it solid
> -give it IOR
> -use multiple pigment{Clear} normal{bumps} layers
Don't use to many, each ray will be affected by two surfaces.

--
Alain
But I thought YOU did the backups...

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 19 Feb 2008 14:47:03
Message: <47bb3237$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks, Jan and Alain! I appreciate your help a lot!

I use POV-Ray since around 1993 or so. Long time. But I used, up to now,
only relatively simple techniques. I would like to ask you two to give me
some sample code for a basic box, which should have these attributes. The
reason is, I was reading your suggestions but still don't know, how to
follow them up.

Let it be a thin sample box, resembling some canvas:

box
{
 < 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 > < 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 >
}

Let's assume the the name for the canvas texture graphic file would be
"Canvas.png".

Thanks for your help again,

Sven

"Sven Littkowski" <sven [] jamaica-focus [] com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>
> who can consult me? I want to create a scene named "The Magnificent men in
> their Flying Machines", which contains a number of wicked airplanes and
> want-to-be-airplanes. Most of them have canvas over the wooden framework.
>
> While I have already a graphic file I can use for the canvas texture, I am
> still in need of some consulting: the cancvas you get to see on vintage
> airplanes is slightly transluscent, means, if you see such an airplane in
> the air and you're below it, through the sunlight you can get an idea of
> the wooden framework below the canvas. I need your advices how best to
> achieve such an effect. To make it even a bit more difficult, the canvas
> seems to blur the edges of the wooden framwork below it, in its slightly
> transluscent effect. How to achieve that little blur effect?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sven

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 19 Feb 2008 14:56:31
Message: <47bb346f$1@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski escribió:
> Let it be a thin sample box, resembling some canvas:
>
> box
> {
>  < 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 > < 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 >
 > }

That is a zero-sized box. An invisible point.

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 19 Feb 2008 16:17:18
Message: <47bb475e$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks, Jan, Nicolas and Alain! I appreciate your help a lot!

I use POV-Ray since around 1993 or so. Long time. But I used, up to now,
only relatively simple techniques. I would like to ask you two to give me
some sample code for a basic box, which should have these attributes. The
reason is, I was reading your suggestions but still don't know, how to
follow them up.

Let it be a thin sample box, resembling some canvas (corrected version):

box
{
 < -10.0, -1.0, 0.0 > < 10.0, 1.0, 0.005 >
}

From: Jan Dvorak
Date: 19 Feb 2008 16:50:23
Message: <47bb4f1f@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski napsal(a):
> Thanks, Jan, Nicolas and Alain! I appreciate your help a lot!
>
> I use POV-Ray since around 1993 or so. Long time. But I used, up to now,
> only relatively simple techniques. I would like to ask you two to give me
> some sample code for a basic box, which should have these attributes. The
> reason is, I was reading your suggestions but still don't know, how to
> follow them up.
>
> Let it be a thin sample box, resembling some canvas (corrected version):
>
> box
> {
>  < -10.0, -1.0, 0.0 > < 10.0, 1.0, 0.005 >
> }
>
> Let's assume the the name for the canvas texture graphic file would be
> "Canvas.png".
>
> Thanks for your help again,
>
> Sven

see http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#blurredreflection
I haven't tried it myself but I could if you want me to.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jan Dvorak
Date: 19 Feb 2008 17:00:10
Message: <47bb516a@news.povray.org>
>> -use multiple pigment{Clear} normal{bumps} layers
> Don't use to many, each ray will be affected by two surfaces.
to be exact, the times don't add up. they multiply.

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 19 Feb 2008 18:00:01
Message: <47bb5f71$1@news.povray.org>
Jan, it might be I have to ask you to give me a sample canvas. I was reading
the link you provided, but this all sounds a bit Chinese to me. I never used
those techniques before, not even the NORMAL feature.

All I know is, that I would go for the small scale (0.001), since I need a
high antialiasing and a high speed.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help very much! Shall I name one of these
wicked vintage airplanes with your name?

Here the canvas box and a thin wooden board behind.

box
{
  < -10.0, -1.0, 0.0 > < 10.0, 1.0, 0.005 >
}

box
{
  < -10.0, -0.025, 0.005 > < 10.0, 0.025, 0.055 >
}

Greetings,

Sven

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 19 Feb 2008 18:02:00
Message: <47bb5fe8$1@news.povray.org>
Correction: here it is again. Just the upper box needs to be modified.

box   // Canvas
{
  < -10.0, -1.0, 0.0 > < 10.0, 1.0, 0.005 >
}

box   // Wooden Frame
{
  < -10.0, -0.025, 0.005 > < 10.0, 0.025, 0.055 >
 pigment {  Brown }
}

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 19 Feb 2008 20:55:39
Message: <47bb889b$1@news.povray.org>
Probably something like this...

#declare canvas = texture {
   pigment {
      image_map {
         png "star_arrow.png"
         transmit all 0.35
      }
      rotate 90*x
   }
   normal {
      bump_map {
         png "canvas.png"
         interpolate 2
      }
      rotate 90*x
      scale 4
   }
   finish {
      specular 0.3
      roughness 0.05
   }
};

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/Zakardis/?action=view&current=cloth_wing.png
http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/Zakardis/?action=view&current=star_arrow.png
http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/Zakardis/?action=view&current=canvas.png

It'll look a bit better with radiosity too,
since the color of the ribs will color the canvas.

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 21 Feb 2008 12:32:16
Message: <47bdb5a0$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the code, Tim!

I am posting someimages in the Binaries.Images group, to show what I have in
mind.

Sven