POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does POV-Ray license prohibit the translation of its documents into other language? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:28:13 EDT (-0400)
  Does POV-Ray license prohibit the translation of its documents into other language? (Message 8 to 17 of 27)
<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Christian Froeschlin
Subject: Re: Does POV-Ray license prohibit the translation of its documentsintootherlanguage?
Date: 11 Nov 2007 06:42:44
Message: <4736eab4$1@news.povray.org>
> Put another way, while someone not familiar with English could conceivably
> learn to use the SDL by learning the keywords by rote, if they were not
> trained in the use of ASCII-style data input, would they be unable to
> code in POV-Ray SDL?

The hurdle is bigger, but can't be avoided completely. Localizing
language keywords is not a good idea, and you wouldn't dream of
doing it with languages like C or Java. However, in my experience,
people in Asia will be very happy when they can have comments,
file names and GUI texts in their native language. I never
looked in the sources, but I suspect POVRay is currently
using ISO-8559-1 latin encoding and 8-bit characters for
all strings in which case all of the above would fail.

Working with arbitrary non-english text is not so intimidating
as as long as you know what you may no longer take for granted.
Here is a friendly introduction to the topic:

> people in Asia will be very happy when they can have comments,
> file names and GUI texts in their native language. I never
> looked in the sources, but I suspect POVRay is currently
> using ISO-8559-1 latin encoding and 8-bit characters for
> all strings in which case all of the above would fail.

Wrong :-) <http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/263/>

Of course, what the text editors can handle is a different story...

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message