POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does POV-Ray license prohibit the translation of its documents into other language? : Re: Does POV-Ray license prohibit the translation of its documentsintootherlanguage? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does POV-Ray license prohibit the translation of its documentsintootherlanguage?
From: Zhenqing Li
Date: 16 Nov 2007 10:35:39
Message: <473db8cb$1@news.povray.org>

Chris Cason wrote:
> Zhenqing Li wrote:
>> Thank you guys! I will get into it right now. :)
>
> Perhaps you can answer a question for me ...
>
> Is the fact that the POv-Ray SDL requires the use of Latin characters (and is
> basically an English-language script) a barrier to its use by cultures that
> use non-Latin character sets?
>
> Put another way, while someone not familiar with English could conceivably
> learn to use the SDL by learning the keywords by rote, if they were not
> trained in the use of ASCII-style data input, would they be unable to code in
> POV-Ray SDL?
>
> -- Chris
Dear Chris:

I think you mean that the keyword in POV-Ray is Latin, so if someone who
totally doesn't know the ABC so even he can understand the manual but
still can't use POV-Ray.

In fact, situation is not so bad as you think. First, in China, we have
a pronunciation system which in fact use Latin characters. (That's why
my name is Zhenqing, not the two Chinese characters.). Computers around
the world now have standard 101 US keyboards. So it isn't a big deal for
Chinese to input Latin characters inside to the computer. Chinese are
using C/C++, FORTRAN or Java too. They are also have the keywords in
English. By the way, every student in China can know more or less some
English. We are not so isolated as you think. :) Second, the barrier for
POV-Ray is its English manual. As I said before, everyone know some
English, but not everyone is good at English. To raise the efficiency
and introduce this amazing software, the first step is to make people
understanding its powerful functions visually, quickly and friendly. So
localized user documents, FAQ, and HOW-TOs are the best ways to achieve
that.

Hope I explain your question.

Have a good day.

Zhenqing

- --
Zhenqing LI
Materials Science & Engineering (Emphasis on Polymer)
Room 161, Sirrine Hall
School of Material Science & Engineering, Clemson University
Clemson, SC 29634, U.S.A
Tel: 864-656-0888(Office)
E-mail: zhe### [at] clemsonedu
Homepage: http://people.clemson.edu/~zhenqil