POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does POV-Ray license prohibit the translation of its documents into other language? : Re: Does POV-Ray license prohibit the translation of its documentsintootherlanguage? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does POV-Ray license prohibit the translation of its documentsintootherlanguage?
From: John
Date: 11 Nov 2007 11:26:46
Message: <4taej3l0v8m902e2brjt9qoebckmiig3tr@4ax.com>
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:31:04 +1100, Chris Cason
<del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote:

>Zhenqing Li wrote:
>> Thank you guys! I will get into it right now. :)
>
>Perhaps you can answer a question for me ...
>
>Is the fact that the POv-Ray SDL requires the use of Latin characters (and is
>basically an English-language script) a barrier to its use by cultures that
>use non-Latin character sets?
>
>Put another way, while someone not familiar with English could conceivably
>learn to use the SDL by learning the keywords by rote, if they were not
>trained in the use of ASCII-style data input, would they be unable to code in
>POV-Ray SDL?
>
>-- Chris

All the PCs I have ever seen in China and Hong Kong have an ASCII
keyboard..

The people who use them are obviously familiar with ASCII input.  It
is fascinating to watch them using the pinyin system of phonetic
Chinese to type on a more or less normal ASCII keyboard and the
Chinese characters appear on the screens

Texting on a mobile phone using pinyin or even more impressive using a
stylus on the screen with handwriting recognisition built is more
interesting still and very fast

John