POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:34:47 EDT (-0400)
  A new SDL Idea (Message 89 to 98 of 118)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: A new SDL Idea
Date: 10 Oct 2007 20:33:08
Message: <470d6f44$1@news.povray.org>
William Tracy wrote:

> Fa3ien wrote:
>

>>>Your death would be a tragic thing.
>>
>>??? I don't understand well what you mean...
>

> I assume he means that there would be a bad reaction to that big of a
> change in the SDL.

that's it

Post a reply to this message

From: zeroin23
Date: 15 Oct 2007 01:05:01
Message: <web.4712f4c7bcc3cc028669ea3c0@news.povray.org>
Talking about Visual Studio Express, I have a burning noobie question. Why
do we need a PV editor?

Wouldn't notepad++ 1368051 byte npp.4.4.bin.zip or eclipse do?
I can do Scheme and Prolog on eclipse via plugins.

What is so special that it cannot be done via other editors?

My personal opinion, I think PV editor is not as good, for example,
1. not able to detect file changes promptly
2. syntax coloring is off for unknown extension
3. copy pane is painful

Post a reply to this message

> Talking about Visual Studio Express, I have a burning noobie question. Why
> do we need a PV editor?
>
> Wouldn't notepad++ 1368051 byte npp.4.4.bin.zip or eclipse do?
> I can do Scheme and Prolog on eclipse via plugins.
>
> What is so special that it cannot be done via other editors?
>
> My personal opinion, I think PV editor is not as good, for example,
> 1. not able to detect file changes promptly
> 2. syntax coloring is off for unknown extension
> 3. copy pane is painful

I dunno, I really like it.  If for no other reason than the vertical
highlighting ability.  And I like an integrated editor that I don't have
to configure myself.  It allows me to think about the things I want to
do with POV, the images I want to make, the techniques I want to explore
without nerding around configuring my editing environment 'till the end
of time.

Post a reply to this message

From: Ger
Date: 15 Oct 2007 01:48:21
Message: <4712ff25@news.povray.org>
zeroin23 wrote:

> Talking about Visual Studio Express, I have a burning noobie question. Why
> do we need a PV editor?

We don't NEED it (as in mandatory ) but some people like it and some don't.
Some people like the integration and some don't.

> Wouldn't notepad++ 1368051 byte npp.4.4.bin.zip or eclipse do?
> I can do Scheme and Prolog on eclipse via plugins.

Any editor will do. Heck , you could even edit a pov file in edlin (that's
for the very old people here :) )

> What is so special that it cannot be done via other editors?
Apart from the integration? Zip, zilch, nothing.

--
Ger

Post a reply to this message

From: zeroin23
Date: 15 Oct 2007 04:40:01
Message: <web.471326fcbcc3cc02b0f5bef80@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> zeroin23 wrote:
> > Talking about Visual Studio Express, I have a burning noobie question. Why
> > do we need a PV editor?
> >
> > Wouldn't notepad++ 1368051 byte npp.4.4.bin.zip or eclipse do?
> > I can do Scheme and Prolog on eclipse via plugins.
> >
> > What is so special that it cannot be done via other editors?
> >
> > My personal opinion, I think PV editor is not as good, for example,
> > 1. not able to detect file changes promptly
> > 2. syntax coloring is off for unknown extension
> > 3. copy pane is painful
> >

> I dunno, I really like it.  If for no other reason than the vertical
> highlighting ability.  And I like an integrated editor that I don't have
> to configure myself.  It allows me to think about the things I want to
> do with POV, the images I want to make, the techniques I want to explore
> without nerding around configuring my editing environment 'till the end
> of time.

cool didnt know there is vertical highlighting

http://lifehacker.com/software/text/vertical-text-selection-in-microsoft-word-and-beyond-244483.php?mail2=true

by pressing the alt key, you can do that too in word or notepad++

regarding configuration, someone could for example configure one setup
custom just for POV-Ray in notepad++ and done. notepad++ have key stroke
macro which can be very powerful. auto completion is lacking also.

(i understand the pain of setup up an editor, like trying to change netbean
IDE can be quite a pain)

Post a reply to this message

From: zeroin23
Date: 15 Oct 2007 04:50:02
Message: <web.47132947bcc3cc02b0f5bef80@news.povray.org>
Ger <No.### [at] ThankYou> wrote:
> zeroin23 wrote:
>
> > Talking about Visual Studio Express, I have a burning noobie question. Why
> > do we need a PV editor?
> >
> We don't NEED it (as in mandatory ) but some people like it and some don't.
> Some people like the integration and some don't.
>
> > Wouldn't notepad++ 1368051 byte npp.4.4.bin.zip or eclipse do?
> > I can do Scheme and Prolog on eclipse via plugins.
> >
> Any editor will do. Heck , you could even edit a pov file in edlin (that's
> for the very old people here :) )
>
> > What is so special that it cannot be done via other editors?
> Apart from the integration? Zip, zilch, nothing.
>

> > My personal opinion, I think PV editor is not as good, for example,
> > 1. not able to detect file changes promptly
> > 2. syntax coloring is off for unknown extension
> > 3. copy pane is painful
>
> --
> Ger

ic ic.

I am suggesting, instead of maintaining a copy of the editor, why not use
other open source project for it. (adapting or modifying it)

writing an editor to me is an art by itself.

or looking at it at another way, is it possible to allow other application
to hook up with the POV-Ray, writing an interface like to monitor the
updating status of the render, capabilities so that like I can use my
favour editor, but at the same times access to some information in regards
to the render.

Post a reply to this message

From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 15 Oct 2007 10:28:14
Message: <471378fe@news.povray.org>
zeroin23 wrote:

> My personal opinion, I think PV editor is not as good, for example,
> 1. not able to detect file changes promptly

There is an issue with using CTRL-Z to undo (at least with small numbers
of keystrokes), to the effect that when the number of keystrokes that
were undone equals the number of keystrokes immediately following, the
editor detects the file as "clean" until another key is pressed.  I
don't know if this has been fixed in 3.7.  To avoid the problem, save
manually after undoing text.

> 2. syntax coloring is off for unknown extension

The first time you save a new file, use "Save As."  The POV Team says
that this has been fixed in 3.7.

> 3. copy pane is painful

I find it useful, but I seldom use it--personal preference, I guess.  It
could be useful to be able to highlight and copy text directly from the
message pane, but that's a pretty trivial issue for me.

I've been using Visual Studio since version 4.  The IDE is nice, but I
have to say that I MUCH prefer the POV editor (especially since meeting
VS 8).  But you don't HAVE to use the POV editor--again, it's an issue
of personal preference.

However, people have often asked about running the Windows version of
POV from a command line without opening the editor--is that the real
issue here?  I think this would be useful.  I've written little VB apps
from time to time to set up things like bicubic patches or whatever,
that would then call POV to render a test scene.  In that case, I'd just
as soon not wait for the editor to load, unless I actually want to check
the content of the file I just built.

Just some thoughts...

--Sherry Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 15 Oct 2007 12:51:59
Message: <47139aaf$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/15 01:25:
> zeroin23 wrote:
>> Talking about Visual Studio Express, I have a burning noobie question.
>> Why
>> do we need a PV editor?
>>
>> Wouldn't notepad++ 1368051 byte npp.4.4.bin.zip or eclipse do?
>> I can do Scheme and Prolog on eclipse via plugins.
>>
>> What is so special that it cannot be done via other editors?
>>
>> My personal opinion, I think PV editor is not as good, for example,
>> 1. not able to detect file changes promptly
>> 2. syntax coloring is off for unknown extension
>> 3. copy pane is painful
>>

> I dunno, I really like it.  If for no other reason than the vertical
> highlighting ability.  And I like an integrated editor that I don't have
> to configure myself.  It allows me to think about the things I want to
> do with POV, the images I want to make, the techniques I want to explore
> without nerding around configuring my editing environment 'till the end
> of time.
Another nice thing with the integrated editor: juse put the cursor on a keyword,
press "F1" and you get the help about that keyword.

--
Alain
OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Post a reply to this message

From: Bryan Valencia
Date: 15 Oct 2007 15:27:35
Message: <4713bf27@news.povray.org>
I rather like EditPlus - we have adapted it to replace one of our
wretched scripting language editors at work.  You can adapt it to use
any help file and you can configure it to syntax highlight based on a
simple list of keywords.  We copied and pasted from the help files to
get this list.

we also added in links to windiff and our database dictionary (so
pointing to a field and hitting a hotkey gives us the data definition
for that field.

It seems like we could do the same for POV-Ray.

--
---
Bryan Valencia

- I'd rather live with false hope than with false despair.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 16 Oct 2007 11:25:00
Message: <web.4714d766bcc3cc02773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
>
> > But, what really bothers me is that I'm not sure povray artists bother about
> > writing their own SDLs just to render a scene.  I'd be interested to see the
> > opinion of guys like Gilles Tran, Jaime Vives, Jim Charter, Tek and other
> > advanced SDL users...
> >

> I'd be happy to comment but I don't understand the question.

neither do I.  I got lost in the middle of this long thread... :P