POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea : Re: A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new SDL Idea
From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 15 Oct 2007 10:28:14
Message: <471378fe@news.povray.org>
zeroin23 wrote:

> My personal opinion, I think PV editor is not as good, for example,
> 1. not able to detect file changes promptly

There is an issue with using CTRL-Z to undo (at least with small numbers
of keystrokes), to the effect that when the number of keystrokes that
were undone equals the number of keystrokes immediately following, the
editor detects the file as "clean" until another key is pressed.  I
don't know if this has been fixed in 3.7.  To avoid the problem, save
manually after undoing text.

> 2. syntax coloring is off for unknown extension

The first time you save a new file, use "Save As."  The POV Team says
that this has been fixed in 3.7.

> 3. copy pane is painful

I find it useful, but I seldom use it--personal preference, I guess.  It
could be useful to be able to highlight and copy text directly from the
message pane, but that's a pretty trivial issue for me.

I've been using Visual Studio since version 4.  The IDE is nice, but I
have to say that I MUCH prefer the POV editor (especially since meeting
VS 8).  But you don't HAVE to use the POV editor--again, it's an issue
of personal preference.

However, people have often asked about running the Windows version of
POV from a command line without opening the editor--is that the real
issue here?  I think this would be useful.  I've written little VB apps
from time to time to set up things like bicubic patches or whatever,
that would then call POV to render a test scene.  In that case, I'd just
as soon not wait for the editor to load, unless I actually want to check
the content of the file I just built.

Just some thoughts...

--Sherry Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+