POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea : Re: A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:30:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new SDL Idea
From: zeroin23
Date: 15 Oct 2007 04:50:02
Message: <web.47132947bcc3cc02b0f5bef80@news.povray.org>
Ger <No.### [at] ThankYou> wrote:
> zeroin23 wrote:
>
> > Talking about Visual Studio Express, I have a burning noobie question. Why
> > do we need a PV editor?
> >
> We don't NEED it (as in mandatory ) but some people like it and some don't.
> Some people like the integration and some don't.
>
> > Wouldn't notepad++ 1368051 byte npp.4.4.bin.zip or eclipse do?
> > I can do Scheme and Prolog on eclipse via plugins.
> >
> Any editor will do. Heck , you could even edit a pov file in edlin (that's
> for the very old people here :) )
>
> > What is so special that it cannot be done via other editors?
> Apart from the integration? Zip, zilch, nothing.
>

> > My personal opinion, I think PV editor is not as good, for example,
> > 1. not able to detect file changes promptly
> > 2. syntax coloring is off for unknown extension
> > 3. copy pane is painful
>
> --
> Ger

ic ic.

I am suggesting, instead of maintaining a copy of the editor, why not use
other open source project for it. (adapting or modifying it)

writing an editor to me is an art by itself.

or looking at it at another way, is it possible to allow other application
to hook up with the POV-Ray, writing an interface like to monitor the
updating status of the render, capabilities so that like I can use my
favour editor, but at the same times access to some information in regards
to the render.