POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Vector Reorientation: overcoming the twist. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:25:58 EDT (-0400)
  Vector Reorientation: overcoming the twist. (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Vector Reorientation: overcoming the twist.
Date: 30 Sep 2007 22:08:06
Message: <47005686@news.povray.org>
I know "we" solved this problem years ago, but I've forgotten the solution.

I have an object that I am reorienting from y to -y.  At the .y=0
transition, there is a flip.

I see how Mike Williams did it in sweepmesh, but for practicality in my case
I would like a single transform.  Is there no simple mathematical
transformation that allows this to happen without the flip?

Post a reply to this message

> I have an object that I am reorienting from y to -y.  At the .y=0
> transition, there is a flip.
>
> I see how Mike Williams did it in sweepmesh, but for practicality in my case
> I would like a single transform.  Is there no simple mathematical
> transformation that allows this to happen without the flip?

I'm not sure what you mean by "reorienting from y to -y without flip".
A rotation by 180 degrees might be what you are looking for.

Post a reply to this message

> > I have an object that I am reorienting from y to -y.  At the .y=0
> > transition, there is a flip.
> >
> > I see how Mike Williams did it in sweepmesh, but for practicality in my case
> > I would like a single transform.  Is there no simple mathematical
> > transformation that allows this to happen without the flip?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "reorienting from y to -y without flip".
> A rotation by 180 degrees might be what you are looking for.

Hmm, y to -y but no flip?  Like scale y by -1 so it's reversed, and then
translate it back to the same position?    You can always put
multiple/sequential transformations into a single transform{} variable.

Charles