POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Future development of Pov Ray Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:28:09 EDT (-0400)
  Future development of Pov Ray (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: McHannemann
Subject: Future development of Pov Ray
Date: 5 Feb 2007 03:35:00
Message: <web.45c6eba8b7abcaa3a0acb860@news.povray.org>
Hi Pov Ray Team,

I would like to know if you plan to implement another rendering technique
outside
you raytracing and GI solution?
My personal favourite would be MLT or Bidirectional Pathracing, it would
give Pov Ray the cutting edge :-D

Thor

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: Future development of Pov Ray
Date: 5 Feb 2007 03:54:28
Message: <45c6f0c4$1@news.povray.org>
McHannemann schrieb:
> Hi Pov Ray Team,
>
> I would like to know if you plan to implement another rendering technique
> outside
> you raytracing and GI solution?

There are no intentions for adding techniques that are incompatible to
raytracing like for example methods that require the objects to be
represented as meshes.

> My personal favourite would be MLT or Bidirectional Pathracing, it would
> give Pov Ray the cutting edge :-D

Suggestions like that are usually not leading to much, especially if you
  cannot give anything to support the claim that technique X would be
useful (i.e. efficient and effective) and feasible to implement for POV-Ray.

-- Christoph

Post a reply to this message

> I would like to know if you plan to implement another rendering technique
> outside
> you raytracing and GI solution?
> My personal favourite would be MLT or Bidirectional Pathracing, it would
> give Pov Ray the cutting edge :-D
>
> Thor

 From a quick look at Wikipedia, it seems that POV-Ray almost implements
bidirectional pathtracing as it is.

First of all, POV is already a forward raytracer.
Second, it already supports radiosity (monte carlo global illumination,
I believe the technical term is).

So what would it really add?

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message