POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Computer Specifications for use with POV-Ray Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:31:20 EDT (-0400)
  Computer Specifications for use with POV-Ray (Message 1 to 10 of 24)
From: Thomas
Subject: Computer Specifications for use with POV-Ray
Date: 21 Feb 2006 19:20:00
Message: <web.43fbad333c989485b25eca850@news.povray.org>
Hi,

We run a small architectural lighting design consultancy.  We use DIALux 4.1
for most of our photometrics, and POV-Ray to render the associated files.
We're about to purchase a computer which will largely function as a
rendering machine (the other tasks it'll be doing are relatively trivial).
We're trying to work out what specs we need.

The essential questions are:

1.  We're looking at dual-core processors for faster rendering - how do we
go for bang for your buck?

2.  How much RAM do we actually need (I've never seen POVRay run past 790Mb
on our current Pentium M based machine, which has 2Gb).

3.  How much difference does the graphics card make?  What type of card
should we look at using.

4.  Any other advice that you think useful.

Thomas.

Post a reply to this message