POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Computer Specifications for use with POV-Ray : Re: Computer Specifications for use with POV-Ray Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer Specifications for use with POV-Ray
From: Warp
Date: 22 Feb 2006 05:06:07
Message: <43fc378e@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen <spamnot@ <removethis>polard.com> wrote:
> IMO get the fastest dual-core processor you can get. Beter yet, get a quad
> motherboard (I think HP makes some nice ones) that will take four
> processors. You can then theoretically render four times faster, but you'll
> have to break your scene up into four segments. I have one processor, and I
> use  a "segments of two" approach when dual-core rendering - one virtual
> CPU gets the "top" the other the "bottom". If one finishes before the
> other, the remaining part is again divided by two, etc. You'll be able to
> do this by fours if you get a quad based board.

  Please notice that if you do that, ie. render the scene in "four segments",
the amount of memory required will be four times as large. Often not very
feasible. It's also troublesome.

  You should know better than to suggest that, given that the new
POV-Ray 3.7 can use multiple processors with basically no increased
memory requirements.

--
                                                          - Warp