POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Variable IOR - has the time come? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Variable IOR - has the time come? (Message 1 to 10 of 24)
From: Chambers
Subject: Variable IOR - has the time come?
Date: 10 Feb 2006 20:29:46
Message: <43ed3e0a$1@news.povray.org>
I might ramble here, but anyway...

Just thinking about variable IOR today, and I reread the section of the
VFAQ on it.  Basically, by specifying variable IOR as a property of
media, the density of the media could be used to vary the IOR.  By
supersampling the media enough, it should be possible to get decently
accurate images (even though they may take days or weeks to render {but,
this has never stopped POVers before, has it?}).  It should be even
possible to get a more or less accurate derivative of the density
function, and guess the correct length for the next ray segment.

Anyway, however slow it is (again - has slowness ever stopped POVers
before?), does anyone else think it might be time to try it out?  Used
properly, this would allow some great effects.  Mostly, I'm thinking of
subtle heat shimmers in landscape scenes - but I'm sure there are others.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message