POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Variable IOR - has the time come? : Re: Variable IOR - has the time come? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Variable IOR - has the time come?
From: Alain
Date: 25 Feb 2006 12:00:29
Message: <44008d2d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 25/02/2006 06:50:
> Nekar Xenos <go_### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>
>>I meant to replace my intitial suggestion with the second one. Is it not
>>possible to test intersection of a circle with an object? Please excuse me,
>>but I (obviosly)don't know how a raytracer is programmed. How is
>>intersection of a straight ray done? I was thinking of just replacing the
>>formula for the straight ray with the formula of a circle.
>

>   How would a ray travelling in a circular path be any feasible way of
> emulating variable ior? I'm not even sure it's physically possible to
> have an object with an ior such that light travels in a circular path
> through it regardless of the direction.

Gravity lense, in any direction not directly aimed at it's center. As those don't have
a deffinite
center (each constituent object been a "center"), ray's paths looks rather like a
drunken man path.

Note to self: I need to create such a lense in POV-Ray one day.

--
Alain
After any salary raise, you will have less money at the end of the month than you did