POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray v3.7.beta.11c available. Server Time
6 May 2024 16:10:46 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray v3.7.beta.11c available. (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.11c available.
Date: 6 Feb 2006 17:38:22
Message: <43e7cfde$1@news.povray.org>
Francois LE COAT wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Tim Cook wrote :
>> Be glad they're releasing anything at all, for starters.  If they were
>> being paid, they might be obligated to do certain things.  But they're
>> not.  Got a problem with it?  Write your own raytracer.
>
> I'm not speaking about my personal interest, but about general policy.
> I'm supporting POV for more than 10 years now. Specially on ATARI
> platforms. Do you know that Windows is *the* latest non Unix OS ?
> Why should it be promoted rather than any other OS ?
>
> Regards,
>

> Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer, 3D Modeller)
> http://eureka.atari.org

It's not being promoted.  The POV-Team is focusing on fixing bugs
related to the new feature (multithreading).  To minimize distractions
from this, they have decided to focus on a single platform for the
development.

They could do source releases and focus on implementing the changes only
in the generic code versions; however, due to past experiences the
POV-Team has decided that time-limited binaries better suit their needs
(and the community's).

Since they must do a binary release, on a single platform, they simply
chose the platform with the greatest number of users.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message