POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray v3.7.beta.11c available. : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.11c available. Server Time
19 May 2024 04:54:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.11c available.
From: Lance Birch
Date: 7 Feb 2006 09:53:32
Message: <43e8b46c@news.povray.org>
"Francois LE COAT" <lec### [at] atariorg> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> > POV-Ray 3.7.beta.11c is available from http://www.povray.org/beta/.
> >
> > This beta is currently for the Windows platform only and includes standard,
> > SSE2, and 64-bit binaries.
>
> That's a shame that POVRay beta is only available for Windows. My policy
> as a developer is to support Linux and MacOSX platforms ... I do regret
> that the POVTeam has the exact opposed policy :( Who benefit from it ?

POV-Ray is well-known for its multiple platform support.  The overhead involved
in producing a compile for each platform that POV-Ray supports for each beta
release would be extreme, and is unnecessary for the testing process.

By restricting testing to just one platform it benefits the POV Team, as less
time is wasted producing various compiles every time a new beta is released,
which allows the development to progress more quickly, which ultimately benefits
all POV-Ray users.  So in answer to your question regarding who benefits:  all
POV-Ray users benefit in the end.

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au