POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray v3.7.beta.11c available. : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.11c available. Server Time
19 May 2024 05:25:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.11c available.
From: Chris Cason
Date: 8 Feb 2006 00:05:11
Message: <43e97c07@news.povray.org>
Francois LE COAT wrote:
> Otherwise it may be rather difficult to manage releases ... But why
> is Windows chosen

The answer is simple: apart from the other reasons quoted in this thread,
the simple fact is that most of the work in making POV smp-compatible was
done by two persons - myself and Thorsten. I develop mostly under Windows,
and Thorsten on the Macintosh. So it was a choice between those two as to
which platform got the beta (and not even that really, since even today
the Mac frontend isn't completely finished).

The way the POV-Ray backend communicates with the frontend has undergone
significant changes and it was decided that it was best to work out the
problems on one platform rather than inflict the fairly fluid state of the
interface on our volunteer unix developers.

There is no 'conspiracy' against unix users, it is simply pragmatism,
nothing else. Once our unix developers are happy with the state of the
code I am sure they will release a unix build.

At this point I think this thread should end as it is not achieving any
positive purpose.

-- Chris