POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Water, Part II Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:17:00 EDT (-0400)
  Water, Part II (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Bryan Heit
Subject: Water, Part II
Date: 26 Jan 2006 18:32:44
Message: <43d95c1c$1@news.povray.org>
Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone who helped me with my first "real"
water Q.  It works very, very well.  But I now have another problem.
Although I now have realistic water I can submerge my camera in, it
takes to long to render.  This wouldn't be a problem normally, but
because I'm using this for animation purposes rendering speed is an
issue.  Even if I drop the samples down to the lowest point where it
doesn't look like crap, I'm still looking at a 4-6 day renders per
2000-5000 frame animation.  I'd like to keep this to less then 1 day per
animation.  Without media the animations were taking between 4 and 8
hours...

So can anyone think of a way to achieve an effect where more distant
objects look like they're behind fog (i.e. faded, hazy).  I was thinking
of using a series of partially transparent planes in front of the
camera, each one with a rough surface to make for some turbulence.  I've
tried a few different implementations of this without success.

Any other ideas (or ideas as to how to make the planes work).

thanx

Bryan

Post a reply to this message

Bryan Heit nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 26/01/2006 18:32:
> Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone who helped me with my first "real"
> water Q.  It works very, very well.  But I now have another problem.
> Although I now have realistic water I can submerge my camera in, it
> takes to long to render.  This wouldn't be a problem normally, but
> because I'm using this for animation purposes rendering speed is an
> issue.  Even if I drop the samples down to the lowest point where it
> doesn't look like crap, I'm still looking at a 4-6 day renders per
> 2000-5000 frame animation.  I'd like to keep this to less then 1 day per
> animation.  Without media the animations were taking between 4 and 8
> hours...
>
> So can anyone think of a way to achieve an effect where more distant
> objects look like they're behind fog (i.e. faded, hazy).  I was thinking
> of using a series of partially transparent planes in front of the
> camera, each one with a rough surface to make for some turbulence.  I've
> tried a few different implementations of this without success.
>
> Any other ideas (or ideas as to how to make the planes work).
>
> thanx
>
> Bryan
You can use fog. Read section 3.3.2.3  Fog in the documentation. Think of it as a kind
of prety
limited but fast media simulation.

--
Alain
All true wisdom is found on T-shirts.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bryan Heit
Date: 30 Jan 2006 11:10:21
Message: <43de3a6d@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
> You can use fog. Read section 3.3.2.3  Fog in the documentation. Think
> of it as a kind of prety limited but fast media simulation.

I tried fog in the past without much success, as you can't "fill"
objects with it without filling the whole scene (at least not as far as
I've been able to tell).  I ended up re-writing the scene so it would be
compatible with fog, and it works, but it isn't the idea solution.

I guess it's the price I have to pay for needing quick renders.

Bryan