POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pov64 - linux advice wanted please! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  pov64 - linux advice wanted please! (Message 1 to 10 of 60)
From: Tek
Subject: pov64 - linux advice wanted please!
Date: 3 Dec 2005 03:23:10
Message: <439155ee$1@news.povray.org>
Okay, google doesn't seem to be able to give me any clear advice on this
one, so I'll ask you guys:

I just bought an 64-bit AMD Turion based laptop, which irritatingly has
32-bit windows installed, so I'm thinking about doing a dual-boot with linux
and using the 64-bit version of pov. I've already run a 32-bit test and my
laptop's almost as fast as my desktop machine, so I assume it will be faster
in 64-bit. Anyway what I want to know is this:

1/ what version of linux should I get?
2/ how much better is 64-bit pov compared to 32-bit on the same system?
(i.e. is it worth the effort?)

Now I realise there's no straight answer to question 1 but I'm getting SO
annoyed with linux users! Whenever I ask one of the guys at work they always
name about a dozen versions of linux I should try. It's an OS! I don't want
to try it, I just want to install one and use it! I'm not scared of having
to use a command prompt (I use linux remotely from a windows PC at work
sometimes so I know my way around), I just want someone to tell me what the
difference is between them.

Can all versions of linux run povray? Can they all run the same programs,
and if not why not? Do different ones run pov at different speeds? Are there
special 64-bit versions of linux (like windows) or is it just exposed in a
more implicit way?

BTW, I've just started using emacs at work, so don't worry about suggesting
a version of linux that's friendly for windows users, I can handle a steep
learning curve (I'm going to regret saying that!).

Please help me!

Thanks
--
Tek