POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pov64 - linux advice wanted please! : Re: pov64 - linux advice wanted please! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov64 - linux advice wanted please!
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 3 Dec 2005 05:09:58
Message: <43916ef6@news.povray.org>
Hi Tek:

   I'm sorry, but my answer to 1) should be similar to those you usually
get from these annoying linux users... :) But I think that the effect on
the overall rendering speed shouldn't be noticeable: the  difference
between distros is more about the apps they include and how they are
organized, etc... in that regard, my preferred ones are Fedora and
Ubuntu, but that's very personal. And, IMHO, the "is just an OS"
thinking is not correct: the OS is the main software on your computer,
and you should be very careful choosing it.

   About 2), I don't really know if the official binary is 32 or 64
bits, as I always compile the sources for my own platform. The effort is
so minimal that any advantage is worth. I mean, compiling your own
version for you specific platform is very easy on Linux, and it should
take only a few minutes more than installing the official binary (just
make sure to install the development tools of your Linux distro).

   Regards...

--
Jaime