POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pov64 - linux advice wanted please! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:32:33 EDT (-0400)
  pov64 - linux advice wanted please! (Message 31 to 40 of 60)
From: Tek
Subject: Re: pov64 - linux advice wanted please!
Date: 4 Dec 2005 12:33:14
Message: <4393285a$1@news.povray.org>
Well multi-tasking isn't so vital for me, since I'll be installing it on my
laptop and I can only realistically render with that if it's plugged in, in
which case I'll have a desktop PC I can used for other tasks.

Also my current scene uses a lot of Daz Studio models, and they don't have a
linux build available, so I'm probably only going to be using linux in
collaboration with a windows PC or for final renders.

Still, that's not a reason to avoid a more full-featured version of linux!

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com

"Eero Ahonen" <aer### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid> wrote in message
> Tek wrote:
>>
>> I guess my biggest problem is I don't know how I'm going to use it. I
>> suspect what I want is to switch to linux for rendering and text editing
>> pov
>> files, and use windows for everything else. But of course if I get a
>> distro
>> of linux which gives me a nice way to do regular computing then I might
>> use
>> it exclusively and leave windows alone. I don't know what I want to use
>> it
>> for and I don't know how to figure that out except by talking to people
>> who
>> already use linux for pov.
>>

> More on that, you will want to use it for normal websurfing etc while
> poving. Or do you say that you've never surfed to find some answer for a
> prob while POVing? Eg. for me, reading POV online manual is pretty
> normal while POVing :).
>
> And when your computer is calculating The Big Image, you might want to
> do something while it's doing it(1). Eg. you could dig your way deeper
> and deeper of Linux-knowledge ;).
>
> Finally, I'd guess you don't want to get the reboot-delay every time you
> want to do something else, if it's possible on the currently running
> system. So I'd say, go for a usable desktop, that's what you'll most
> propably want someday.
>
> (1) 124:45:15 Rendering line 295 of 5200, 24901 rad. samples
>
> --
> Eero "Aero" Ahonen
>   http://www.zbxt.net
>      aer### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid