POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Getting interior lighting accurate Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Getting interior lighting accurate (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Rick Measham
Subject: Getting interior lighting accurate
Date: 4 Sep 2005 22:21:18
Message: <431bab9e@news.povray.org>
I'm creating a set of macros for building a house and have everything
done except for lighting. I am using sun.inc to position a sun object,
but the radiosity doesn't work unless I'm looking at a window. If I
stand at the window and look into the room it's like it's night outside.

Is there any solution to this? Should I put a light-source outside each
window? Should I make a window an opaque ambient object when I'm not
looking at it?

Cheers!
Rick Measham

Post a reply to this message

Rick Measham <rickm*at%isite.net.au> wrote:
Hi Rick,

> I'm creating a set of macros for building a house and have everything
> done except for lighting. I am using sun.inc to position a sun object,
> but the radiosity doesn't work unless I'm looking at a window. If I
> stand at the window and look into the room it's like it's night outside.
>
> Is there any solution to this? Should I put a light-source outside each
> window? Should I make a window an opaque ambient object when I'm not
> looking at it?

Have a look at Jaime Vives Piqueres' LightSys package :
http://www.ignorancia.org/lightsys.php

It contains a macro by Philippe Debar which builds a sky 'dome' that's
perfect for this. Otherwise, create a sky with a fairly high ambient value.

P.S. How's that brush coming along? I want to steal it for a scene. :)

Post a reply to this message

> Have a look at Jaime Vives Piqueres' LightSys package :
> http://www.ignorancia.org/lightsys.php
>
> It contains a macro by Philippe Debar which builds a sky 'dome' that's
> perfect for this. Otherwise, create a sky with a fairly high ambient value.

Excellent, thanks for that. I've seen people mention lightsys before,
but not knowing what it did, I didn't know how useful it is :)
I'll have a look at implementing it later today.

> P.S. How's that brush coming along? I want to steal it for a scene. :)

I never got back around to it too much .. the handle is now an SOR which
makes it look nicer ..
http://rick.measham.id.au/article.php?story=onebrush

Cheers!
Rick Measham