POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render server on Web Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Render server on Web (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: BassPlayer
Subject: Render server on Web
Date: 5 Apr 2005 01:15:00
Message: <web.42521e2beb331ac39872f04d0@news.povray.org>
I'm in a work environment where I'm not allowed to install s/w on my
machines, but I can access the web to do schoolwork during downtime.  Is
there any web server out there with POV installed that I can upload a file,
then render it?

If not, this is what I envision:

User accesses a CGI (or PHP, ASP or whatever current tech) website with one
or both of the following

a. file field that user can type in a local file name
b. text window that user can paste a scene file's contents into

The user clicks some radio buttons to select options (image size, etc) and
clicks GO!

Server side script calls CL povray to render image.

The server returns a link to the jpg image that can be loaded by any web
browser.

Cleanup script deletes old renders (set expiration length) and new renders
overwrite old of same name.

Does this exist?  If not, does anyone see any flaws in my plan?  I'm gonna
go buy a cheap linux box tomorrow and set this up on my home network so I
can hit it from work.  If anyone knows of any free hosting sites that allow
one to run CGI scripts, or would be willing to host this on one of their
machines, that would rock.

Post a reply to this message