POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render server on Web : Re: Render server on Web Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render server on Web
From: Mienai
Date: 5 Apr 2005 01:35:00
Message: <web.425222ad7a184edc5520b9220@news.povray.org>
"BassPlayer" <rha### [at] uccsedu> wrote:
> I'm in a work environment where I'm not allowed to install s/w on my
> machines, but I can access the web to do schoolwork during downtime.  Is
> there any web server out there with POV installed that I can upload a file,
> then render it?

> Does this exist?  If not, does anyone see any flaws in my plan?  I'm gonna
> go buy a cheap linux box tomorrow and set this up on my home network so I
> can hit it from work.  If anyone knows of any free hosting sites that allow
> one to run CGI scripts, or would be willing to host this on one of their
> machines, that would rock.

I'm not familiar with any public servers, but if one were up I'm sure it see
a lot of traffic and heavy processing loads.

As for your plan, you could do that or since you're going to be running a
linux box and assuming it could be on the web all the time, you could just
run an ssh server on it and just connect to it and run everything directly.
 That's what I'd do at least and I'd imagine it'd be more secure.

I don't know why you'd need a hosting site either when you could just run
that straight from your box...