POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray speed guide Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:13:17 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray speed guide (Message 11 to 20 of 22)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: POV-Ray speed guide
Date: 17 Nov 2004 05:17:43
Message: <419b2547@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertygov> wrote:
> Nice looking page in Firefox, not so nice in msie.

  It's nice to see that some people finally have the courage to drop
msie from the list of fully supported browsers.

From: Florian Brucker
Date: 17 Nov 2004 11:54:43
Message: <419b8253$1@news.povray.org>
> * Great idea and good work!

Thanks!

> * In the hardware section, don't make "graphic cards" bold, but "You don't
> even need a graphic card to raytrace" because later on you mark bold what is
> needed, and a reader only scanning the text could misunderstand that
> paragraph.

Good idea.

> * Question: On which platform did you measure the streams? I am wondering
> because they are much faster than I would have expected.

Text terminal in Linux (Gentoo 2.4.25). I tried to get timings using
-GA, but that did not work at all (I got the debug messages
nevertheless), see my thread in p.b.g.

> * The thread about functions you link to contains some wrong information.
 > [constant expressions evaluated at parse time]

But it still true that using internal functions for non-constant
expressions is faster than using user defined functions, isn't it? As
mentioned in that paragraph the subject is above my level of knowledge,
so I just quoted Tor's post. I hope I can do some benchmarks myself
about it.

Florian
--
camera{look_at-y*10location<8,-3,-8>*10}#local a=0;#while(a<999)sphere{
#local _=.01*a-4.99;#local p=a*.01-5;#local c=.01*a-4.995;<sin(p*pi)*5p

Post a reply to this message