POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray speed guide : Re: POV-Ray speed guide Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray speed guide
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 17 Nov 2004 12:30:02
Message: <cng1po$8g1$1@chho.imagico.de>
Florian Brucker wrote:
> The performance comparison might be wrong in general, too, but this is
> again what applies for most people: The basic user, who renders average
> scenes, will often find that scanline rendering is faster. That's why I
> tried to make clear, that scanline may be faster, but that raytracing
> will give you more accurate results.

Either make it right or don't write anything about it.  Just writing
something because it conforms with the unqualified impression of the
majority is quite a bad idea.  I know quite a lot of people (including
professional journalists) do this but this does not make it any better.

The idea to summarize the whole issue with 'scanline rendering is faster
but raytracing is more accurate' is surely tempting since it is simple
and everyone could understand it but it is wrong and sooner or later
everyone who believed this will draw the wrong conclusions.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______