POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray speed guide : Re: POV-Ray speed guide Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray speed guide
From: Florian Brucker
Date: 17 Nov 2004 12:10:56
Message: <419b8620$1@news.povray.org>
> The better standard unix tool for examining running processes is 'top',
> not 'ps'.

You're right. Don't know what I was thinking oO

>   Graphical interfaces usually do not take almost any CPU time at all
> if you are not doing anything with them (unless you are using older
> versions of MacOS X) so it's usually not necessary or useful to shut
> them down for rendering. In order to better establish whether a
> graphical interface slows down rendering in any considerable way
> (when you are not doing anything but running POV-Ray with it) you
> should *test* it, not just assume it.

Does displaying the image which is rendered at the same time take much
CPU time? I don't know, but I believed in what the docs say about it.
It's true that I did not test the CPU usage of a graphical interface.
Perhaps I should leave that sentence out.

>   Wasn't the image called "First Strike at Pearl Harbour" (unless I have
> completely missed a perl joke in that image...)?
>   The link http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Workshop/9193/ doesn't seem
> to work...

It's really called "First Strike at Pearl", according to
http://irtc.org/stills/1998-12-31.html Perhaps there's a camel hidden
somewhere ;)
That link is strange: It did work when I wrote the article. It doesn't
work now, you're right, and all links which google spits out about the
topic aren't working, either. Perhaps Glenn McCarter or N.B. took their
website offline.

Florian
--
camera{look_at-y*10location<8,-3,-8>*10}#local a=0;#while(a<999)sphere{
#local _=.01*a-4.99;#local p=a*.01-5;#local c=.01*a-4.995;<sin(p*pi)*5p