POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Super Still Life Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:07:22 EDT (-0400)
  Super Still Life (Message 8 to 17 of 27)
<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Gena
Subject: Re: Super Still Life
Date: 21 Oct 2004 00:23:39
Message: <417739cb$1@news.povray.org>
I'll try to recap our preliminary discussion.

Unfortunately I don't have any spare web space.
That's why as a first step we could post images in
p.b.images newsgroup. Maybe later on somebody will
shelter the project.

Assuming that project name is 'Super Still Life'
posted images could have the following names:
ssl-1.jpg, ssl-2.jpg etc.

This weekend I'll try to prepare a template scene -
ssl-template.pov I think the only "solid" stuff in
the scene will be the table and camera position. That
will allow seamless flow from one image to another.
I'm afraid that pre-defined lights and background
will be too restrictive. More likely I'll use isowood
by Christoph Hormann for the table. If you have any
ideas for another table material please let me know.

You are free to use any lighting, HDRI, radiosity and
post-processing. The initial image must be rendered
in POV-Ray. Image size is a question for discussion.
I suggest to use 800*600 so that horizontal scroll
wouldn't take too much time :) But you should be ready
to render your scene in magazine/poster resolution in
case any Museum of Modern Arts will ask for exposition :)

There is no any particular theme. So povers are free
to use everything they consider as a Still Life. It could
comprise of fruits, vegetables, meat, fast food, any
exotic dishes from different cuisines, any kitchen
utensils, glasses, goblets etc. etc. etc. You can also
put your own table cloth on the table. Just keep table
edges open so that next image could be "connected" to
yours. Fantasy and creativity should be one of the main
"components" of the image. Because of different moral,
religious and ethic norms in different countries be
cautious with nudes, erotic and sexual scenes.

This is a free and non-commercial project. Everybody
keeps all rights on his/her image, scene. Nobody has
a copyright for the whole project/images. Availability
of source files is not required. Authors can put their
names/signatures on images, preferably as embedded
somehow to the image (e.g. free-hand writing on a
napkin etc.).

Everybody is welcomed to join the project. The number
of entries is unlimited. Just make sure that they are
really differ from each other :) When you finish your
image just take next available name for the image
(ssl-x.jpg where 'x' is a next available number) and
display it in p.b.images. Please use the following
subject for your posting:
SSL-x
where 'x' is a number of your image.

And finally there is no deadline. Let's work on it
whenever we have spare time.

Hopefully I covered everything :)

Gena.

Post a reply to this message

> Unfortunately I don't have any spare web space.
> That's why as a first step we could post images in
> p.b.images newsgroup. Maybe later on somebody will
> shelter the project.
If web space is the only problem here, I'd be happy to supply some.
Although I think first posting the images to pbi is a good idea
nevertheless.

> This weekend I'll try to prepare a template scene -
> ssl-template.pov I think the only "solid" stuff in
> the scene will be the table and camera position. That
> will allow seamless flow from one image to another.
> I'm afraid that pre-defined lights and background
> will be too restrictive. More likely I'll use isowood
> by Christoph Hormann for the table. If you have any
> ideas for another table material please let me know.
IMHO we have to decide which approach we want: There's the "all images
share a table element" way or the "that looks like a long table where
everybody put different stuff on" approach. I personally like the second
one better, i.e. one with the same background etc. in every image. But
I'm open to everything here :)

Florian
--
camera{look_at-y*10location<8,-3,-8>*10}#local a=0;#while(a<999)sphere{
#local _=.01*a-4.99;#local p=a*.01-5;#local c=.01*a-4.995;<sin(p*pi)*5p

Post a reply to this message

From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 21 Oct 2004 13:41:33
Message: <4177F4CA.1F0A323C@gold.sdsmt.edu>
How about a "Still Life Museum"? Some arrangements could each be on their
own seperate table
and there could be a long table in the center.

I'm seeing a large hall, with high stained glass windows. I have a staned
glass window in my object
collection I could contribute...  Marble floors...

I like the idea anyway, any thoughts?

ADB

From: Florian Brucker
Date: 21 Oct 2004 16:52:01
Message: <41782171@news.povray.org>
> How about a "Still Life Museum"? Some arrangements could each be on
> their own seperate table
> and there could be a long table in the center.
Well, IMHO the main idea is that all objects are somehow linked
together, i.e. are positioned on the same table (I've also seen images
where each contribution was a wagon of a train). It's also important
that everyone can render his contribution independant from the other
contributions. And having the common idea it's interesting what people
make of it.
Therefore I really like the table idea better :)

Florian

From: Ross
Date: 21 Oct 2004 17:55:35
Message: <41783057$1@news.povray.org>
"Florian Brucker" <tor### [at] torfboldcom> wrote in message
> > How about a "Still Life Museum"? Some arrangements could each be on
> > their own seperate table
> > and there could be a long table in the center.
> Well, IMHO the main idea is that all objects are somehow linked
> together, i.e. are positioned on the same table (I've also seen images
> where each contribution was a wagon of a train). It's also important
> that everyone can render his contribution independant from the other
> contributions. And having the common idea it's interesting what people
> make of it.
> Therefore I really like the table idea better :)
>
> Florian
> --

I like the table idea better, but i think the lighting should be constant.
either no real lights and have pure radiosity lighting or have some lights
that cause pretty short shadows so shadows don't get cut off at the table
"edges" between individual tiles. If you have scenes with different
lighting, the brightness of the table will be different in each scene.

I also think 800x600 is way to big for something that could be a very long
string of images. 400x300 maybe. 640x480 is even big if you have 20 images
side by side.

i guess you could ask for 2 versions. a 400x300 and an 800x600.

Also, as far as isowood, isn't isowood pretty time consuming?

I was even imagining instead of a table, having a conveyor belt/assembly
line kind of surface. It would offer easier tiling i think. but a table
might look nicer.

just a few not quite random thoughts...

Post a reply to this message

From: Gena
Date: 22 Oct 2004 00:29:00
Message: <41788c8c$1@news.povray.org>
Florian Brucker wrote:
> If web space is the only problem here, I'd be happy to supply some.
> Although I think first posting the images to pbi is a good idea
> nevertheless.

That's great! I think we will need just two pages.
First one with all images connected to each other.
Image size should not be too big smth. like 320*240.
Each image will have a link to a large version 800*600.
Second page could have just image names and author
names.

> IMHO we have to decide which approach we want: There's the "all images
> share a table element" way or the "that looks like a long table where
> everybody put different stuff on" approach. I personally like the second
> one better, i.e. one with the same background etc. in every image. But
> I'm open to everything here :)

I think we should use some kind of mixture of these
two approaches :)

Gena.

Post a reply to this message

From: Gena
Date: 22 Oct 2004 00:52:42
Message: <4178921a@news.povray.org>
> I like the table idea better, but i think the lighting should be constant.
> either no real lights and have pure radiosity lighting or have some lights
> that cause pretty short shadows so shadows don't get cut off at the table
> "edges" between individual tiles. If you have scenes with different
> lighting, the brightness of the table will be different in each scene.

IMHO pre-defined lights and background are too restrictive
conditions. Usually different objects need different set of
lights and their positions. Also in this case you cannot use
lighting from smth. like Tiffany table lamps, candles etc. :)

> I also think 800x600 is way to big for something that could be a very long
> string of images. 400x300 maybe. 640x480 is even big if you have 20 images
> side by side.

I think homepage should have a strip of images of size 320*240.
Clicking on any image will bring high resolution image 800*600.
Usually 640*480 is not enough for detailed image.

> Also, as far as isowood, isn't isowood pretty time consuming?

Right, I should say wood textures developed by Christoph.

> I was even imagining instead of a table, having a conveyor belt/assembly
> line kind of surface. It would offer easier tiling i think. but a table
> might look nicer.

Maybe only table object should be defined and should stay
unchanged through all images(?) And authors could assign to it
any texture which they think is more appropriate to their
image. The whole strip of images will be very eclectic in this
case but I don't think it's too bad in this case :)

Gena.

Post a reply to this message

From: Shay
Date: 22 Oct 2004 13:29:11
Message: <41794367$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

The only way I can thing of to make this look right would be to use
small bar tables, one per entry. The bar tables could have an easel-like
stand behind them on which a background could be painted. The background
of the entire scene would have to be a solid pigment color so that
radiosity would not effect it. With one big table, the camera position
would have to be locked. With small tables, any camera position which
did not make obvious the lack of a floor would look OK. The perspective
would change from entry to entry, but there would be no "breaks".

  -Shay

Post a reply to this message

From: Florian Brucker
Date: 22 Oct 2004 13:56:19
Message: <417949c3@news.povray.org>
As I said before, I really like the idea of making it all look like it
was rendered in one pass, e.g. no visible breaks in background etc.
Nevertheless, I see that artistic freedom is important, too.

I think using some tricks like light_groups, spot_lights or point_lights
with fade_distance, it should be easy to create a piece of table, which
blends nicely with other contributions but allows custom lighting.

After all it is IMHO not the idea of such a project that everybody
provides a full scene, but something small, which can nevertheless be
very interesting. Therefore I don't think you'll need a change in
background. You should put something interesting *on* the table, not
behind it :)

Using a seperate table for each element would be a possibility, but it
destroys much of the basic idea of the whole project (the one idea makes
it so interesting). If you vary the camera settings, too, you get
nothing more than some images which share an object...

Florian

From: Florian Brucker
Date: 22 Oct 2004 13:56:27
Message: <417949cb$1@news.povray.org>
The idea with sharing sources and using them to create nice blends is
IMHO lots of work - changing one contribution would almost always mean
to change the contributions on each side, too (and perhaps they change
that much that their neighbours have to be changed, too, etc.). This is
not acceptable IMO.

Also I got the idea of creating the webpage in such a way that you get a
random table everytime (random order of contributions). No chance to do
that with your idea :(

Florian