POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : interesting link Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  interesting link (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: JWV
Subject: interesting link
Date: 10 Oct 2004 12:24:48
Message: <41696250$1@news.povray.org>
Hello fellow raytracers,

A friend of me has send me this link:

http://www.saarcor.de/

I looks rather promissing, so i can't wait to see more improvement of this
project!

Greetings,

JWV

PS: I am not connected to this project (not even close :-) )

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: interesting link
Date: 11 Oct 2004 04:09:13
Message: <416a3fa9@news.povray.org>
JWV <jwv|at|planet.nl> wrote:
> http://www.saarcor.de/

> I looks rather promissing, so i can't wait to see more improvement of this
> project!

  So far the example images don't look any impressive to me. They don't seem
to contain anything that couldn't be done quite easily with current
scanline-rendering 3D cards.
  If you can't have smooth triangles (which you clearly can't at least
in the current prototype), raytracing is pretty useless.

>>I looks rather promissing, so i can't wait to see more improvement of this
>>project!
>

>   So far the example images don't look any impressive to me. They don't seem
> to contain anything that couldn't be done quite easily with current
> scanline-rendering 3D cards.

This was my thought, too.
But the idea to implement a raytracer in FPGAs is
interesting.

Sebastian H.

Post a reply to this message

>> I looks rather promissing, so i can't wait to see more improvement of
>> this
>> project!
>
>  So far the example images don't look any impressive to me. They don't
> seem
> to contain anything that couldn't be done quite easily with current
> scanline-rendering 3D cards.
>  If you can't have smooth triangles (which you clearly can't at least
> in the current prototype), raytracing is pretty useless.

Well, they are clearly using true reflections which are impossible with
current scanline
accelerators.  One more thing, is that scenes with upwards of 100 million
triangles
(like the sunflowers) may be approaching the point where raytracing becomes
more
efficient than scanline rendering - because of the log(n) cost of finding
intersecting
objects for a pixel may be faster than rasterizing all the polygons.

Post a reply to this message