POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : interesting link : Re: interesting link Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:15:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: interesting link
From: Andrew Clinton
Date: 11 Oct 2004 21:07:16
Message: <416b2e44$1@news.povray.org>
news:416a3fa9@news.povray.org...
> JWV <jwv|at|planet.nl> wrote:
>> http://www.saarcor.de/
>
>> I looks rather promissing, so i can't wait to see more improvement of
>> this
>> project!
>
>  So far the example images don't look any impressive to me. They don't
> seem
> to contain anything that couldn't be done quite easily with current
> scanline-rendering 3D cards.
>  If you can't have smooth triangles (which you clearly can't at least
> in the current prototype), raytracing is pretty useless.

Well, they are clearly using true reflections which are impossible with
current scanline
accelerators.  One more thing, is that scenes with upwards of 100 million
triangles
(like the sunflowers) may be approaching the point where raytracing becomes
more
efficient than scanline rendering - because of the log(n) cost of finding
intersecting
objects for a pixel may be faster than rasterizing all the polygons.