POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : interesting link : Re: interesting link Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: interesting link
From: Andrew Clinton
Date: 13 Oct 2004 08:28:37
Message: <pan.2004.10.13.13.25.51.375709@uwaterloo.ca>
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 04:57:10 -0400, Warp wrote:

> Andrew Clinton <ajc### [at] uwaterlooca> wrote:
>> Well, they are clearly using true reflections which are impossible with
>> current scanline
>> accelerators.
>
>   max_trace_level 2 reflections are possible with accelerators up to a
> point. However, none of the example images really showed the advantages
> of being able to have deeper reflection levels. This is because there
> aren't smooth triangles.

Could you point me to an accelerator that has such support?  I know it can
be done by stretching the shading language to its limit and rendering in
passes like:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/rtongfx/
This is not architectural support.

But I don't know of any mainstream graphics hardware that has support for
reflections.  Maybe you are thinking of reflections maps?  This is not a
true reflection, because it is only correct at a single point.  Also the
mirror reflection you see in games are also tricks.

Andrew