POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Lights - Wow! Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:07:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lights - Wow! (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Subject: Re: Lights - Wow!
Date: 25 Aug 2004 07:16:40
Message: <Xns9550876BCF335raf256com@203.29.75.35>
som### [at] microsoftcom news:412c7013@news.povray.org

> I just combined a Looks_Like, Area_Light, Fade_Distance, what a fantastic
> result.

Btw, I think it would be much more natural if *all* lights (not only
light_sources direct rays, but also radiosity and photons rays) would have
fade_power 3 and some arbitrary fade_distance. This is the correct phisical
model AFAIR?

Currenlty - a small lightbull could lighten as well a small box and a
spaceship hangar with is not true.

In fade_power 3 case,  color rgb of light_source would mean color and
light power, not color/brighntess.

It should give nice results with exposure (from MegaPov 1.1)

FUT: povray.general

--
http://www.raf256.com/3d/
Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/

Post a reply to this message

> In fade_power 3 case,  color rgb of light_source would mean color and
> light power, not color/brighntess.

I think actual light has an inverse square fade thing ( not very
knowledgeable) so they should all have  fade_power 2, I think.

Post a reply to this message

>>In fade_power 3 case,  color rgb of light_source would mean color and
>>light power, not color/brighntess.
>

> I think actual light has an inverse square fade thing ( not very
> knowledgeable) so they should all have  fade_power 2, I think.

As you move further away from the light source, the light is spread over
a greater area. Since area is the square of length, it should indeed by
fade_power 2.

Andrew @ work.

Post a reply to this message