POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Lights - Wow! : Re: Lights - Wow! Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lights - Wow!
From: Ross
Date: 25 Aug 2004 10:45:32
Message: <412ca60c$1@news.povray.org>
"Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spa### [at] raf256com> wrote in message
> voi### [at] devnull news:412c9f67@news.povray.org
>
> > As you move further away from the light source, the light is spread over
> > a greater area. Since area is the square of length, it should indeed by
> > fade_power 2.
>
> Yes, indeed - this is correct.
>
> AFAIK even after manualy adding fade_power 2 to evey light_source it still
> will not solve problem - since diffused rays (in radiosity calculations)
> and direct media rays (radiosiy from ambient-media) as well as photons
will
> not fade that way...? Or perhaps radiosity is behaving as fade_power 2 by
> default - because of way how rays are shooted? Hmm I must check that...

refracted light is not governed by fade_distance/fade_power is it? i think i
recall reading that in the docs of 3.5. (opening docs for 3.6...) i always
wondered why. for instance if you have a candle (point light) in a glass
candle holder, nearly all the light would be defracted, and therefore, not
fade with distance.

from the documentation "Reflected or refracted light is not attenuated by
distance." is this because it is computationally too expensive, or is this
just how light works in nature?

(removed p.o-t from list, since this is becomming on-topic)