POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Lights - Wow! : Re: Lights - Wow! Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:27:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lights - Wow!
From: Ross
Date: 25 Aug 2004 10:39:54
Message: <412ca4ba$1@news.povray.org>
"Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spa### [at] raf256com> wrote in message
> som### [at] microsoftcom news:412c7013@news.povray.org
>
> > I just combined a Looks_Like, Area_Light, Fade_Distance, what a
fantastic
> > result.
>
> Btw, I think it would be much more natural if *all* lights (not only
> light_sources direct rays, but also radiosity and photons rays) would have
> fade_power 3 and some arbitrary fade_distance. This is the correct
phisical
> model AFAIR?

the only problem i can see by having a default fade_power and fade_distance
other than what it is would be new users having objects outside the distance
that light reaches, causing confusion. "why isn't my sphere showing up? i
have a light and a camera" they can gradually learn that there are more
advanced options that simulate reality a little better.

by your argument, photons and radiosity would be on by default, but that
just doesn't make sense since every scene has different needs for photon
count.

i usually leave fade_power and fade_distance out of my scenes until towards
the end, if i change them at all.

good points, but i just think it would lead to much confusion to new users.
you could of course define an include file that creates realistic light
objects, and use those instead of adding fade_power/distance to each of your
lights in every scene.

-ross