POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Boned mesh file formats? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Boned mesh file formats? (Message 31 to 40 of 44)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: gregjohn
Subject: Re: Boned mesh file formats?
Date: 29 Aug 2004 16:50:00
Message: <web.413240e560d46f843a5fb9ba0@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:

> Extruding a mesh along a spline which happens to go through some points in a
> skeleton is not the same as deforming a mesh directly according to the bones
> in a skeleton.
>
> Your technique no doubt worked for your specific alien characters (that look
> like they're made of sphere_sweeps) but are you claiming it can be used as a
> general method to animate mesh characters such as your MIME Man or my AL the
> Alien character (provided they were meshes to begin with)?

Good question. First of all, rather than "boning", I would use the term if
we're talkig povray of "transforms".  I have shin transforms, right eye
transforms, forearm transforms, even left index finger middle digit
transforms in my system.  If you set up transforms, then you can have
"anything" you want move to the same set of transforms. I primarily think
in transforms but I can have it spit out points if I choose.

There are several levels of difficulty to the problem you describe, perhaps
it's best to consider individually:

1).  Animation of a "single long stocking"-- say going from a foot to an
ankle to a knee up to the crotch.   This I believe is quite doable using
(hoping I'm not insulting him by invoking his name  and quality macro in
assocation with my mediocre work) the Mike Williams method.  I made
(perhaps unpublished?) a simple example like this and think it's quite
"workable" with a more professional-quality construction if one were to
choose.   If you don't care exactly how smoothly Al's arms connect to his
torso, if you'd settle for mere overlapping objects, then the answer is a
flat "yes".

2). Animation of "a pair of pants" or a "sweater"-- say two independently
moving legs which smoothly join to a "hip & but" or two independently
moving arms smoothly joining to a "torso". (A more complex version would be
multiple fingers joining a hand).  This is currently over my head, although
I'm currently skeptical that it's impossible with the Mike Williams method.
I think it's just a slightly bigger coding headache and this discussion is
almost about made me want to try it.

3). Animation of a moving jaw within a mouth with an opening.  This I think
is doable, too.

Post a reply to this message

> "Rune" <run### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:
>>
>> Extruding a mesh along a spline which happens to go through some
>> points in a skeleton is not the same as deforming a mesh directly
>> according to the bones in a skeleton.
>>
>> Your technique no doubt worked for your specific alien characters
>> (that look like they're made of sphere_sweeps) but are you claiming
>> it can be used as a general method to animate mesh characters such
>> as your MIME Man or my AL the Alien character (provided they were
>> meshes to begin with)?
>
> Good question. First of all, rather than "boning", I would use the
> term if we're talkig povray of "transforms".

It's basically the same thing. You need one or two transforms to specify the
alignment of a bone.

> If you don't care exactly how smoothly Al's arms connect to
> his torso, if you'd settle for mere overlapping objects, then
> the answer is a flat "yes".

But I do. That's kind of the whole point with the technique.

> 2). Animation of "a pair of pants" or a "sweater"-- say two
> independently moving legs which smoothly join to a "hip & but" or two
> independently moving arms smoothly joining to a "torso".

> I think it's just a slightly bigger coding headache and
> this discussion is almost about made me want to try it.

If you mean it'd be a new coding headache every time you have a new model or
skeleton, then you're missing the point. Deforming a skeleton according to
bones is a general technique that, once coded, don't require any additional
coding no matter how different the models and skeletons are. If on the other
hand you think you *do* have a general-purpose solution, then I wish you
good luck coding it.

> 3). Animation of a moving jaw within a mouth with an opening.  This I
> think is doable, too.

Again, this should be possible using the same code as for the pants and
sweater.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com

"Rune" <run### [at] runevisioncom> wrote in message
> > 2). Animation of "a pair of pants" or a "sweater"-- say two
> > independently moving legs which smoothly join to a "hip & but" or two
> > independently moving arms smoothly joining to a "torso".
>
> > I think it's just a slightly bigger coding headache and
> > this discussion is almost about made me want to try it.
>
> If you mean it'd be a new coding headache every time you have a new model
or
> skeleton, then you're missing the point. Deforming a skeleton according to
> bones is a general technique that, once coded, don't require any
additional
> coding no matter how different the models and skeletons are. If on the
other
> hand you think you *do* have a general-purpose solution, then I wish you
> good luck coding it.

Consider the 'sweater' example.  I can envision a general model which works
of course for the first character you design with it. But if everything is
procedurally generated, then you can tweak skeletal points as well as the
splines that define the arm diameters as well as the spline that defines the
shape of the torso.  It shouldn't be too hard to go from robot to man to
woman to puppy dog once you've got the system.  You would however be locked
into designing the character within this system--or to put another spin on
it, blessed by having a totally procedurally generated, portable, 100%
povray, SDL-only character.  I intuitively appreciate this philosophy,
especially if it were politically incorrect with certain artsy-fartsy types.
To quote a recent winner of an IRTC Animation round, (from memory),  "Using
povray for character animation must be a complete waste of time".

Post a reply to this message

> It shouldn't be too hard to go from robot to man to woman to puppy
> dog once you've got the system.

Those all have four limbs, placed relatively the same way. How about bird,
dragon, three-armed alien, spider, worm?

> You would however be locked into designing the
> character within this system--or to put another spin on it, blessed
> by having a totally procedurally generated, portable, 100% povray,
> SDL-only character.

You just don't do detailed or realistic models that way. You haven't done
it, I haven't done it, nobody have yet. Meshes are the way to go for any
serious purposes (or possible bicubic patches). And I know you can do
procedural meshes, but those too are not of the detail level you can do with
a modeler. If you only need toons, you might do fine, but for serious work
it won't do.

> I intuitively appreciate this philosophy,
> especially if it were politically incorrect with certain artsy-fartsy
> types. To quote a recent winner of an IRTC Animation round, (from
> memory),  "Using povray for character animation must be a complete
> waste of time".

I've been very much a POV purist. My animation attempts with AL the Alien
proves that. Despite that I've come to the conclusion that doing character
animation *completely* within POV-Ray *is* a waste of time. That is, if
you're not satisfied with blobby toons, unsmooth joints etc.