POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "Best" licences for POV-Ray models and scripts Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  "Best" licences for POV-Ray models and scripts (Message 11 to 20 of 21)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: "Best" licences for POV-Ray models and scripts
Date: 1 Jul 2004 16:04:08
Message: <40e46e38@news.povray.org>
"Christoph Hormann" <<mailto:chr### [at] gmxde>chr### [at] gmxde> a

 > In the past there have been attempts in these newsgroups to introduce
 > something like a default license for POV-SDL works, including proposals
 > to automatically put all things posted on this server under such a
 > license.  I would not recommend something like this because if people
 > feel forced to a certain license scheme this will result in less people
 > actually posting code which would be very bad IMO.

I wouldn't favour something like this either, for the same reasons. However,
having some general guidelines and counselling about what to do/not do would
be interesting.

 > Coming back to the original question - if you want to license data and
 > neither want to give it away completely free nor require everyone to pay
 > for use the obvious middle ways are 'free for non-commercial use'
 > (however you define that) or 'free for a limited time' (like shareware).

Right now, the issue is really to be able to give SDL code and models for
free with relatively clearcut and (at least theoretically) enforcable rules
regarding their use by 3rd parties. The ideal licence would be similar in
spirit to POV-Ray's own : you can do whatever you want with the code/model
but you can't claim it your own, you can't resell it as a product, if you
diffuse it you must include credits and if you modify it you must make sure
that the users are aware of the modifications. In these suit-happy times,
people are actually asking for this sort of clarification. I could write it
like that, but I'd prefer a template license written carefully by
professional people to take care of loopholes. In the above, for instance,
nothing is said about reselling modified meshes. As I said, I don't think
there are real life issues with SDL scripts, but meshes (or large bitmap
textures, btw) are something else because dark market forces are interested
in them ;-) I don't mind giving stuff for free, but I do mind the potential
hassles, for for the users and for myself. The template would also have the
benefit of recognition. Also I don't want to add a 3-page long EULA to every
script or model I put up for free...

 > I am not sure what you mean by abuse.  Using the data in a
 > politically/ethically/... questionable context or using it to make a lot
 > of $$$ without giving anything to you?

I'm not concerned about people making money from art derived from my SDL
scripts or models. If a company uses a free model of mine in a movie or an
ad, so be it. I dislike "no-commercial use" EULAs on free stuff because I
find that they're a hassle for users. However, my concern is about people
that would take a free model and sell it, because it would be a scam.

I have this nightmare scenario where the licence (or absence thereof) would
allow someone to take a POV-Ray mesh, convert it into a commercial format
and then sell it through a not too ethical channel with an attached
copyright that would prevent the original author to use his/her own model!
I'm not sure that this is even legally possible, but the fact is that I
don't know, and when it comes to high-value commercial products like 3D
meshes, I sort of expect anything...

G.

--

<http://www.oyonale.com>http://www.oyonale.com