POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "Best" licences for POV-Ray models and scripts : Re: "Best" licenses for POV-Ray models and scripts Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Best" licenses for POV-Ray models and scripts
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 1 Jul 2004 17:51:36
Message: <40e48768$1@news.povray.org>

news:cc1ubr$bui$1@chho.imagico.de...

> So you want to draw the line between using the model in an image you do
> for money and selling the actual model (or a variation of it).

The bottom line is that if I give something it should remain free. Of course
it's full of gray zones, particularly when people start adding value (as in
the case of, say, the commercial Linux distributions), since they could say
that they're selling the added value and not the object itself. I guess
restrictive licenses are easier to implement in that respect. When one
forbids everything, there are no gray zones. This why I almost no longer use
free models: I make my own or buy commercial ones. If I give away models,
I'd like the conditions to be clearly laid out so that users don't have
worry. Perhaps I should consider Public Domain after all.

> The real problem will be actually prooving something being your model
> when it appears elsewhere.  AFAIK techniques for 'watermarking' 3D
> models already exist.  When the mesh is modified the watermark will
> usually no more be visible of course.  Both watermarking and actual
> comparison are much easier in case of images.

I fear that enforcement is another annoying issue where people who have only
a moral stake are at a disadvantage...

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com