POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Output Statistics Questions Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:14:23 EDT (-0400)
  Output Statistics Questions (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: How Camp
Subject: Output Statistics Questions
Date: 17 Mar 2004 01:01:12
Message: <4057e9a8@news.povray.org>
I've only come up with limited information on what the final statistics
shown after a render really mean.  Am  I missing an obvious portion of the
documentation?  I have found a few previous messages posted in regards to
this, yet I am still a bit puzzled.

After an eighteen-hour render of my image at 320x240 resolution, I am
interested in trying to determine where my inefficiency lies.  My scene is
mostly full of cylinders... along with a small object made of
smooth_triangles that happens to be copied... er, a lot.  I suspect this
could be the error of my ways, and perhaps I should replace them with some
more efficient primitives.  However, I thought I was being responsible by
placing my triangles inside a union, and then simply referring to this
object repeatedly.  Have I misunderstood previous discussions about
efficient triangle mesh handling?

I thought, perhaps, I could use the histogram output option to determine
where my image was slowing down.  Unfortunately, the only information I
really got from the histogram was that the glass objects in my scene take
more time to render than the other objects.  Alas, by removing the glass
objects, I do not see a huge increase of speed (as one might expect from
having a scene full of only cylinders... er, and some of those
aforementioned pesky smooth_triangles).

So, would someone be so kind as to give me a thorough explanation of my
statistics (as follow), or else point me to the right location so I might
read up on what they mean?  Not a usual exciting question for the group, but
I'm at a loss of where to go to learn this.  Blush.

Here's what I see:

Statistics for experimental_setup3.pov, Resolution 320 x 240
Pixels:           77120   Samples:          693400   Smpls/Pxl: 8.99
Rays:            719773   Saved:              3052   Max Level: 6/10
Ray->Shape Intersection          Tests       Succeeded  Percentage
Box                          407629001         9601576      2.36
Cone/Cylinder               1302284200         9226351      0.71
CSG Intersection             208771746         4865007      2.33
CSG Merge                       919798          256294     27.86
CSG Union                   3239336206         8895934      0.27
Plane                         11367768          675690      5.94
Sphere                         7357978           17042      0.23
Torus                        294219586         1801162      0.61
Torus Bound                  294219586         2160324      0.73
Triangle                  157988919600          148549      0.00
Bounding Box                 187611431        69542575     37.07
Light Buffer                   8242761         3898242     47.29
Vista Buffer                   5779806         4141312     71.65
Roots tested:              2160324   eliminated:             1003830
Calls to Noise:           23584421   Calls to DNoise:       24259518
Shadow Ray Tests:         23171879   Succeeded:              2160378
Reflected Rays:              14639   Total Internal:             208
Refracted Rays:              11734
Smallest Alloc:                 25 bytes   Largest:            24600
Peak memory used:         39956520 bytes
Time For Parse:    0 hours  0 minutes   1.0 seconds (1 seconds)
Time For Trace:   15 hours  8 minutes  27.0 seconds (54503 seconds)
    Total Time:   15 hours  8 minutes  24.0 seconds (54504 seconds)
CPU time used: kernel 1.77 seconds, user 50408.08 seconds, total 50409.84
seconds
Render averaged 1.52 PPS over 76800 pixels

Alright, now, I understand what the first section seems to be telling me,
except for the 'Saved' value.  Are we referring to saved rays?  What did I
save them from doing?

Forgive me for being dense, but in the second section I see that some shapes
have much lower percentages than others.  This is a ... Bad Thing?  I
naively envision my scene only testing (and succeeding with) rays it really
'needs' to calculate, so the better the percentages, the fewer 'wasted' rays
were used?  Thus, the better the percentages, the more efficient my scene
is?  If this is true, then I appear to be horribly inefficient with my
Triangles.

The third category is even more puzzling.  Is this simply for my
information, or can I somehow glean useful knowledge about whether my
objects are calling Noise vs. DNoise, and which should be a better thing.
The docs only mention DNoise in one place (6.7.12.6.4) and from my reading,
it's not that DNoise is any better/worse than Noise calls... just different.
Does the fact that DNoise returns a direction instead of just a value
somehow indicate that those calls were slower?  Perhaps they really are
shown just for my information.

The fourth section seems to make more sense to me.  If I have a lot of
reflected/refracted rays, my scene will take longer to render.  What about
shadow ray tests vs. success?  Again, just information, or can I use this to
my advantage?

I'm also puzzled by the Smallest and Largest memory allocation (the next
section).  Er, call me obtuse, but if my largest memory allocation is 24KB,
how can my peak memory used be 40MB?  Obviously I am woefully
misinterpreting these values.  Blush.

Well, at least I understand the last few lines - I know it takes me a really
long time to render a scene that (I think) should be relatively simple.

Anyone care to take a stab at enlightening me?  I would greatly appreciate
it.

- How

Post a reply to this message

> Forgive me for being dense, but in the second section I see that some
shapes
> have much lower percentages than others.  This is a ... Bad Thing?  I
> naively envision my scene only testing (and succeeding with) rays it
really
> 'needs' to calculate, so the better the percentages, the fewer 'wasted'
rays
> were used?  Thus, the better the percentages, the more efficient my scene
> is?  If this is true, then I appear to be horribly inefficient with my
> Triangles.

That caught my eye too. I don't look at statistics often, so those may be
typical percentages, but I dunno, they seem awfully low. Maybe you're doing
something that makes bounding boxes inefficient?

> The third category is even more puzzling.

To determine if Noise is the cause of your slowdown, try rendering with
textures turned off (I believe there's a command line option that does this
easily; +Q? Search the docs for "quality"). I wouldn't worry about this too
much though.

> The fourth section seems to make more sense to me.  If I have a lot of
> reflected/refracted rays, my scene will take longer to render.

You don't seem to have to many - and you said that taking out the glass
objects doesn't fix things anyway.

> What about
> shadow ray tests vs. success?  Again, just information, or can I use this
> my advantage?

Doesn't seem *that* bad, but shadow ray tests go in hand with what I said
about the other percentages.

> I'm also puzzled by the Smallest and Largest memory allocation (the next
> section).  Er, call me obtuse, but if my largest memory allocation is
24KB,
> how can my peak memory used be 40MB?

There can be (and usually are) multiple allocations as the program runs; the
sum of all of these allocations was 40MB. (Er, more precisely, 40MB was the
most allocated at any time, but it was made up of multiple smaller
allocations.)

So, anyway, the thing that worries me the most is the ray intersection
percentages. Are you using lots of intersections/differences, maybe? That,
among other things, can cause bounding boxes to be so large that they don't
help at all.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message