POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Output Statistics Questions : Re: Output Statistics Questions Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Output Statistics Questions
From: Mike Williams
Date: 17 Mar 2004 03:47:32
Message: <sf8zrGApBBWAFw$b@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it How Camp who wrote:
>I've only come up with limited information on what the final statistics
>shown after a render really mean.  Am  I missing an obvious portion of the
>documentation?  I have found a few previous messages posted in regards to
>this, yet I am still a bit puzzled.

>Ray->Shape Intersection          Tests       Succeeded  Percentage
>Triangle                  157988919600          148549      0.00

This line suggests to me that you're getting extremely bad bounds for
your triangle objects. Since there are 719773 rays, on average each ray
is being tested to see if it intersects 219498 but on average it only
hits 0.2 of them.

The fact that the rays miss most of the triangles suggests that the
triangles are very small, but the fact that many tests are being
performed suggests that the bounds are very large.

Could you possibly be doing something that prevents POV from
automatically bounding them efficiently, such as using them in a large
CSG intersection?

If you've still got the copy of the scene without the glass cylinders
you can get an idea of what the bounding slabs look like by running with
+UD on the command line. What you should be hoping to see is lots of
tight little boxes fitted around each of the small objects, and what you
don't want to see is one big box loosely fitted around the whole
structure.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure