POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Output Statistics Questions : Re: Output Statistics Questions Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Output Statistics Questions
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 17 Mar 2004 03:50:02
Message: <c393d7$22m$1@chho.imagico.de>
How Camp wrote:
> [...]
>
> Forgive me for being dense, but in the second section I see that some shapes
> have much lower percentages than others.  This is a ... Bad Thing?  I
> naively envision my scene only testing (and succeeding with) rays it really
> 'needs' to calculate, so the better the percentages, the fewer 'wasted' rays
> were used?  Thus, the better the percentages, the more efficient my scene
> is?  If this is true, then I appear to be horribly inefficient with my
> Triangles.

This part of the statistics should be pretty self-explanatory if you
know how a raytracer works.  It tells you how many intersection tests
are done for each type of shape and how many of them hit the object.
Therefore a 'simple higher percentage = better' is of course not true
but a very low percentage indicates problems.  You are horribly
inefficient with the triangles, the reason probably being you did not
use a mesh (no mesh is listed in your statistics).

> The third category is even more puzzling.  Is this simply for my
> information, or can I somehow glean useful knowledge about whether my
> objects are calling Noise vs. DNoise, and which should be a better thing.
> [...]

The noise/dnoise calls are the number of calls to the basic functions of
procedural patterns.  These numbers will be high when you use
complicated procedural textures or isosurfaces with noise based functions.

> The fourth section seems to make more sense to me.  If I have a lot of
> reflected/refracted rays, my scene will take longer to render.  What about
> shadow ray tests vs. success?  Again, just information, or can I use this to
> my advantage?

The shadow ray stats are a bit like the shape stats above.  If most of
the visible scene is in shadow (in respect to the used light sources)
most shadow ray tests will be successful.  When you use area lights high
numbers also indicate they are taking a lot of time.

> I'm also puzzled by the Smallest and Largest memory allocation (the next
> section).  Er, call me obtuse, but if my largest memory allocation is 24KB,
> how can my peak memory used be 40MB?  Obviously I am woefully
> misinterpreting these values.  Blush.

24k is the largest unit of memory allocated as a single piece.  The
total amount of memory used by the scene is ~40 MB.

Christoph

Last updated 07 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______