POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Output Statistics Questions : Re: Output Statistics Questions Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Output Statistics Questions
From: Slime
Date: 17 Mar 2004 02:00:29
Message: <4057f78d$1@news.povray.org>
> Forgive me for being dense, but in the second section I see that some
shapes
> have much lower percentages than others.  This is a ... Bad Thing?  I
> naively envision my scene only testing (and succeeding with) rays it
really
> 'needs' to calculate, so the better the percentages, the fewer 'wasted'
rays
> were used?  Thus, the better the percentages, the more efficient my scene
> is?  If this is true, then I appear to be horribly inefficient with my
> Triangles.

That caught my eye too. I don't look at statistics often, so those may be
typical percentages, but I dunno, they seem awfully low. Maybe you're doing
something that makes bounding boxes inefficient?

> The third category is even more puzzling.

To determine if Noise is the cause of your slowdown, try rendering with
textures turned off (I believe there's a command line option that does this
easily; +Q? Search the docs for "quality"). I wouldn't worry about this too
much though.

> The fourth section seems to make more sense to me.  If I have a lot of
> reflected/refracted rays, my scene will take longer to render.

You don't seem to have to many - and you said that taking out the glass
objects doesn't fix things anyway.

> What about
> shadow ray tests vs. success?  Again, just information, or can I use this
> my advantage?

Doesn't seem *that* bad, but shadow ray tests go in hand with what I said
about the other percentages.

> I'm also puzzled by the Smallest and Largest memory allocation (the next
> section).  Er, call me obtuse, but if my largest memory allocation is
24KB,
> how can my peak memory used be 40MB?

There can be (and usually are) multiple allocations as the program runs; the
sum of all of these allocations was 40MB. (Er, more precisely, 40MB was the
most allocated at any time, but it was made up of multiple smaller
allocations.)

So, anyway, the thing that worries me the most is the ray intersection
percentages. Are you using lots of intersections/differences, maybe? That,
among other things, can cause bounding boxes to be so large that they don't
help at all.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]